![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Sunday, May 18, 2003 ![]() You're depressed. Really you are. And you definitely have a reason. You often space out and stare at things blankly, even if you're normally hyper and energetic. This is because nothing really seems important anymore. You might just be sad right now, or you might be manic depressive. Don't worry. Have some cocoa and stuff'll be ok. How Depressed are You? brought to you by Quizilla How true ... and that was the result I got, before that fateful Saturday. Odd ... peculiar ... I don't know. That Saturday afternoon I was feeling awfully depressed about ... people, and listening to FRINGE certainly didn't help, despite the fact that FRINGE has some of the best music in ... well, the world I come into contact with often. No, it wasn't an aftereffect of The Matrix, or reading the purportedly depressing Long Day's Journey into Night (which I've read and dissed) or The Mayor of Casterbridge (which I love, and haven't finished reading). All that's left is the dull ache of bashing my head against the pillar at the concourse depression ... while listening to FRINGE. I just didn't want to see anyone. Was that ominous? Perhaps, but not at that time. Prac before that wasn't exactly a disaster, in fact, it was probably one of the better practices we had. Too bad the audience wasn't watching that. Basically, collectively, we screwed up. Le Fleurs et les Arbres was a tone flat, and painfully obviously so at the last dying chord. And that is supposed to be one of our competition pieces for the final! I bet anyone from the other finalist choirs who was watching it was probably reckoning what an easy time they would be having at the end of July ... how did we get in? In my opinion, the other three we performed were certainly not as atrocious, though they were only marginally better. Personally, too, I flubbed it, losing my pitch or missing a cue at various times during our first song Festival Sanctus (which I believe is a well arranged song assigned poor, artificial Latin lyrics better replaced with something like "La", which would not be expected to mean anything) ostensibly because I was distracted by the lighting and/or the audience. The encore was blatantly planted (although that's what most musical groups do, if they fail to have their seniors support them), because the audience would certainly be much happier to be rid of us. Haha ... and the school song. I was watching the conductor eagerly ... only to realise halfway that there was no conductor .. and that we should be facing the audience ... *bonks head*. FRINGE let me down too ... I Sing, You Sing was supposed to be their best song, but somehow or other they started rushing midway, probably out of anxiety, and thus the exchange in the third verse seemed disjointed, as far as I could hear from the outside. Blackbird, on the other hand, was positively excellent, some members of the audience, as well as FRINGE members themselves, regarding it as the absolute best song in the entire concert. Too bad that, at one of the climaxes of the song, Valerie went jarringly sharp on the solo ... *weeps* ... poor girl. That certainly added to my distress at the time ... at the end I could only say that the vastly inferior PUNCH were the winners of the concert because I didn't know what they were singing and thus couldn't tell if they were making a mistake. After that, Zewei and I went out again (as usual ...), this time following the rest of the Chorale members to Swensens' for a most certainly undeserved "victory celebration" ... or perhaps it was supposed to be one of relief, now that our crunch fortnight was over. That in itself was uneventful, except for the fact that that night, I went to sleep at 2am ... and woke up at 1pm the next day. Great ... what a waste. Those who know me will understand that I rarely praise anything ... or accept (or demand) it. I don't trust praise because there's always an agenda behind such actions ... people don't praise others for nothing. Or, more likely. I'm just being my usual cynical self. I try to cut down on criticism too ... except when I am a part of it or feel that I could do better than whoever or whatever I am criticising (which is often in the case of creative writing). At that, I become scathing. People pouring with praise for the concert ought to seriously reexamine their comments ... they are either ignorant (or overly forgiving) audience members, or enthusiastic and blindly optimistic members of the chorale itself. We put in effort, but it was obviously not enough, even considering the relative shortage of time. We did not give our best, in the case of some *narrows eyebrows* we did not even try our best. Face the facts, we were not good. Can we do better? Only if we work harder. We want ... hell, I want to win the Best Choir award, but the way we are going we'd be lucky to get fourth place. It's not my depression. it's true. And now I have to do my history essay! Rolly promised to give us a thrashing if we were unable to hand it up (especially after asking for an extension) and therefore I ought to stop doing this quickly and go back to work. Sigh ... no wonder I am depressed. posted by Charlotte | 4:26 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||