![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Sunday, June 22, 2003 As far as everyone else (and especially anyone with links to 2A01A 2003) is concerned, I did absolutely nothing on Saturday, 21st June 2003. Nothing, you hear? Nothing, really! Okay, nothing except "queue up" to buy Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix from Times at Plaza Singapura. And nothing else. I was mugging. Really. Seriously, I'll wait till I receive the $36 that I'm due from 2A01A for buying the book for ... Well, now. Dear ... for a lack of a better descriptor ... Melissa, daughter of Lim Boon Heng, how do you feel today? Today marks your first day ... you have lost your freedom, your independence and your name. Well, your father's name, at least. Dear mister Yick Li Tsin, how do you feel today? Lifted up on some kind of social pedestal, finally achieving your (I suppose you'd claim) rightful place as dominator, subjugator, conqueror in the formalisation of your marriage today. And now you stand triumphant, embedded in warfare, assailer and destroyer, as a Napoleon over the Netherlands? To both, it is a kind of death, and yet also a kind of rebirth, for perhaps new hope springs where the point of love strikes home. As you pursue this difficult and constricted path, tearing through any obstacles you encounter, I can only wish that together you sow the seed of mutual victory. Okay, wait, if you are underage you shouldn't be reading that last paragraph. Oh, never mind! Basically, as a whole, I'm opposed to marriage as an institution. It propagates the male dominance that has permeated human society for eons, even though that (supposed) pillar of masculinity has certainly begun to crack and totter. It supports ... heck, even according to secular law, it demands the act of consummation, again another extension of supposed male superiority. The idea of changing the wife's surname to suit the husband's, too ... and most certainly the fact that the wife's surname is that of her father's ... it's all unfair! Come the revolution, we shall abolish all of that subjugation crap. We will abolish masculinity. Huh, reading out the book of Genesis ... participating in a Catholic ... a Christian ritual, for that matter, goes to show that woman is only an extension of man, his bloody rib, damn it! I hate the word, woman, and also the word female. And yet, there are so few appropriate substitutes out there ... girl, lady, feminine figure, two X-chromosomed person, and other gender-specific words like witch, hag, bitch, slut, and all that. It appalls me that in this modern age there are still respectable young ladies out there willing to submit themselves to men. Willing to submit. Willing to crook the knee, to be enslaved, to languish in servitude for the rest of one's life. Ah well. But if there are people out there willing to do it, who believe it is best for them ... well, all the best to them. All blessings and wishes go with them, and that they may make the best out of this bond. Bondage. I'm not being disparaging. I really do wish that since they have taken this path, that they enjoy to the best that they can. It's just that I find the concept of marriage throughly abhorrent. Not weddings, as Purvis would point out, but marriages. A friend once pointed out that my aversion toward what I believe to be the subjugation of a fellow feminine figure could stem from some kind of Oedipus/Electra complex, a kind of revulsion at my father's own conquest and defiling of my mother, either because it reflects the present dominance he has over my family, or because I am resentful or, (more likely, I suspect) am surprised my parents do not feel resentful of my own birth, a twisted, wretched fiend like Richard III. How could anyone subject themselves to it? But darling, they can, and they are willing to. Maybe you are the odd one out, who refuses to acknowledge your own weakness, who refuses to surrender. Perhaps. Coffee Count : 2 1 "cafe mocha" canned coffee, 2 coffees from the big container at Melissa's wedding, and 1 "kopi susu" canned coffee. Or possibly, as another (most certainly masculine) person has pointed out, perhaps I am being one sided in my judgement ... how could I so immediately assume that in a marriage the husband is automatically dominant over the wife simply by virtue of his name and his biological position (double entendre). Let me just illustrate it with a joke. A priest and his assistant were standing around in a church one day when the assistant suddenly asked the priest, "Father, what is the difference between faith and knowledge?" The priest pointed out a family with many kids sitting in a row on one of the pews. "Look there, my son. See that family? The man believes that all those children are his, and that is faith. The woman knows that all those children are hers, and that is knowledge." Thus ends my feeble attempt to conclude on a lighter note. Perhaps the destruction of masculinity is already underway. Weren't we all aware that the wedding was conducted in Melissa's church, and not Li Tsin's? Hmm... Or then again maybe the ceremony served as a kind of dowry or something. Forget that last, futile hope, if you hadn't already. posted by Charlotte | 4:31 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||