Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Monday, August 25, 2003  

Spent the whole day acting eccentric in some kind of vain attempt to relieve stress. For example, I sat and dangled my legs at the table in front of the canteen in full view of everyone, reading a book about the Cold War and laughing insanely and occasionally breaking into song at times. The scene so intrigued Purvis that before he went up to the staff room, he stopped me (who was by then sitting at the corner of the canteen table eating) to take a look at just what book I was reading. Kids are strange nowadays, aren't they?
The next crazy thing I did was to go out to buy lunch even though I knew it was most certainly about to rain, and that was probably what I wanted. When I saw the rain pouring down, I broke out into glee as, holding the New Paper and some waffles, I happily ambled back to school in the rain grinning and laughing all the way while being drenched to the skin. After that, I nonchalantly bobbed down to the canteen without pausing to wipe my spectacles or straighten my hair and just continued eating while reading a pretty much destroyed newspaper. Ah, the joy. Does society needs its eccentrics? If only to provide funny material for Project X or whatever it is called to film.

On the other, more serious hand, I probably did something even crazier in attempting to bring seven library books, an Econs ten year series and my file together all at one go, walking about 1km ++ from my house to the MRT station. Needless to say, I strained both my shoulder muscles such that I can't sit painlessly unless I prop both elbows up on some kind of backrest.

Some other nonsense to babble about ... this might be interesting, in race-conscious Singapore. Has anyone out there really considered how they treat people of other races? As Purvis never fails to emphasise, the Chinese people only act superior or whatever because they're in the majority (although they're a pretty stolid one). I might not be too glad about being a Singaporean, but I'm perfectly pleased to be Chinese ... and I notice a great difference in my attitude toward Chinese people and the other Singaporean races (meaning, not tourists or whatever). Since we're all Singaporeans, there isn't really a need to be defential to each other, but I treat Chinese people, or rather, Chinese strangers with a degree of blandness, or, for the more grungy-looking men, suspicion. It's mainly because they're everywhere, which is why there isn't really any need to feel passionate or whatever over the Chinese.
However, my emotions tend to flare up in particular over the other two, whether it is in some kind of admiration or amicability, or what is more likely momentary dislike deepening into hatred. Recently, I was particularly irked over 7-eleven clerks, as well as over parents who can't control their kids' endless wailing on MRT trains. It may seem a generalisation, but I also observe that ladies of the other races who don't don their traditional dress usually tend to turn up in something much more obscene (well, yeah, it's a reaction to ridiculous traditional masculine oppression but that's no excuse for being grotesque!). I can safely say that at many points in my school life, the most hated fellow student happened to be someone from another race ... though perhaps the feelings weren't mutual as the other person didn't intentionally respond in the same way, and eventually the hatred lost its foundation and died. And it just so happens that I don't regard non-Chinese presidents of Singapore particularly well, whether it's through some obnoxious habit that brought about their downfall, sheer uselessness and redundance, or being largely blameless but ubiquitously present on notes of every single denomination.
Hmph. Chinese chauvinist. Tang Liang Hong would probably be my best friend. Well, I'd vote for him ... considering the other fellows whom he was running against in Cheng San. However, although race has coloured (bad pun) my vision of other people, it has also been in a positive way. It might just be some kind of affirmative action, but of the people who impress me those who stand out most are those who aren't Chinese. They add a kind of depth and perspicapacity which Chinese people ... have a different brand of. I'd say my most impressive teacher in secondary school wasn't Chinese. And don't say you wouldn't give thanks to diversity when you can help yourself to all manner of goodies from different races and cultures at the hawker center or during miscellaneous festivals ... my rapall with non-Chinese vendors is usually much stronger than those who are. Those slitty eyes, you know, you just can't trust them.
Well, all I can say to wrap up that, then is that if you're Chinese, give thanks that you're in the majority, and if you're not, give thanks to the fact that despite not being the majority you're competing on, and probably superseding a large proportion of the Singaporean version of the übervolk. Assuming you got here because you're a junior college student, of course.

Gasp. I think I can make a career out of writing such anecdotal pseudo-essays and selling them as newspaper columns.
And the irony is that these thoughts come as I'm trying to concoct an essay to convince the foreign übervolk to accept me into their culture. Perspicapacity, my dear.

posted by Charlotte | 4:27 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!