Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Tuesday, September 09, 2003  

I was originally going to stay at home the whole day to study, since the library system was down, but checking with the Merlin system online at home at about 2pm I suddenly realised that it had come back online, which means, if I wanted to get the books which I was supposed to have renewed back, I had to get there! Quickly!
And so I sprinted all the way to the MRT station, and from the MRT station all the way to school ... only to find that it wasn't on the shelf. Neither was it in the trolley. Which meant ... but it wasn't checked out, according to the Merlin system (reconfirmed over the library computers). That meant ... either someone else in the library was holding on to it without having borrowed it, or someone had concealed it somewhere in the library. Searching for it in the library shelves, I couldn't find it although I did come across a cache of Paper III books some other idiot from Humanities was hiding, which included gems like Harry Harding, Edwin Moise, Wang Gungwu (shock et horror!) and that Ovendale fellow. Being the good librarian that I was, I gleefully shelved them back in their proper places ... hehehe ... After that, even as I interrogated every single Humans student in the library, I found that none of them had it. In my desperation, I went straight to the librarian ... and guess what? It was held under the shelf to be repaired for a slight tear in the plastic wrapper. Sigh, see if you can guess which book it was that I was so desparate to find. Clue ... there's only one copy of it available on the open shelf.

For those curious, this is what I've got with me now which you should not be expecting to see in the library until after Prelims ... *snickers* ... in alphabetical order, of course.
M.S. Anderson's The Ascendancy of Europe
Something about Bismarck and his effects in Germany 1870-1914
Sheila Fitzpatrick's book on the Russian Revolution
John Lewis Gaddis' We Now Know
Joan Spero ... that's two lady historians!
United Nations Divided World (UNDW)
and also George Rudé's The French Revolution, which has been promised to Cuixian.

EDIT : That Bismarck book is by Lynn Abrams, so that's three lady authors! Hooray! Though I find her book to be too full of anti-Bismarck polemic for my liking, reminding me of Shukman that Jewish prig.

Anyway, I spent the rest of my day finishing Rudé (who writes excellent narrative) and took on a bit of Hard Times. And on that, Literature Paper I in a week's time! Argh! I think this is probably the paper which I dread the most, largely because I utterly despise that unpleasant Charles Dickens and sanctimonious Mary Ann Evans (I wonder why any feminist would want to take her husband's name ...). Reading both of them don't exactly bore me (though at times they certainly do) but Dickens' characters are so unrealistic and distasteful, and the "power of circumstance", as Purvis puts it, seems to shift the plot so much in Silas Marner that it becomes utterly unbelievable. Notice how that old man's fits seem to magically disappear after he finds Eppie? Looks like the author so conveniently forgot about them. I'm kind of caught in the middle with these two, I can't really do the essay because I can't be bothered and utterly dislike remembering quotations from books which I despise, and yet I can't do the PC because I'm forced to pick out observations detailing a particular point the author is bringing across when I don't even agree with it in the first place! Which explains why, at one point in time I was so fed up with him that I wrote a rather cutting (though not insulting, hopefully) poem about him. The study of Hardy, which I thoroughly enjoy, did redeem his lessons, though, as did the shift away from his own personal beliefs and toward the meat of the story.
Othello, on the other hand ... O, O, O! Death and damnation, O! I love every single Shakespeare play, and Othello is no exception, and I quite enjoy the lessons too as although Melissa doesn't exactly go too much into what we can't find out on a simple reading the nature of Shakespeare's writing leaves it open to plenty of interpretations. The problem is ... O! I had rather be a toad, and live upon the vapour of a dungeon, than face the realisation that it's not going to be an easy 25/30 (my remarkable achievement in all but one Othello essay)after not really memorising Othello for 3/4 of a year. Yes, it's that "Lit S" syndrome where you memorise where in the book to look for a certain quote but don't actually remember the quotes themselves. Which is bad. I had hoped I could achieve at least 55/90 for Paper I (25 for Othello, 15 for the other two) but now it seems possible that I'll get less than that. Sigh.

Wrote my personal statement in a fit of creativity. Which also annulled whatever I was thinking of writing in my essay for Rolly. Which is bad. Again.

posted by Charlotte | 4:57 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!