![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Monday, November 17, 2003 Quoth the Raven ... "Nevermore." Yes, I tried to restrain myself, but I simply cannot help it. I shall never, never write inside my books (for reading), let alone my novels ever again. Not that I would purchase Hard Times or Silas Marner out of my own will, but at least now I'm more informed. If the author indeed writes the best words, as is so often enthused about, I don't see the merit of scribbling in your texts to distract yourself from them. But then again, we are not readers, we are students. Add the fact that I happen to be a Literature student, not a Literature reader (else we shall do 3 Shakespeare texts, and other related stuff like Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead or something like that). Don't hate me, I do treasure the various analytical and critical skills learnt from the study of Literature but unfortunately when you're forced to press certain texts through these methods like just another cookie cutter you take all the enjoyment out of it. That is precisely why Lit S is superior to the basic A level paper. Plus, the questions are more interesting. I resolve never to be forced to study a literature text I dislike ever again, for that is the route to the damnation of a subject to utter misery. Unless I'm repeating A levels, or I decided that I simply need that O level literature grade, I shouldn't have to. My argument summed up : 1. Writing in books. 2. Memorising. Memorising stuff you would utterly ignore otherwise. 3. Having "strongly recommended" ideas thrust in your face. 4. The ever-flexible line of what defines daftness. 5. The fear of rejection and ridicule. (well, that applies in life generally, but my hardest lessons in it have come from Literature class) There you are. At least I had wonderful teachers, and I believe that is what is most important in making any course a success. And though I wouldn't say I enjoyed it hands down, I think I can at least say that people who enjoyed the texts certainly did. Hands down. Now I can put my hand up. posted by Charlotte | 3:37 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||