![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Friday, December 26, 2003 Day after Christmas, and nothing to say. My parents have this most unusual habit of throwing a Christmas party every year since, well, since I was ever conscious and thus on this blessed day lots of strange people from all over Singapore congregate here to some recognise some sort of acquaintance between each other. Basically, it's frenetic just mixing friends and relatives, kin on either parent's side or friends from either occupation, even some long acquaintances from way back in their schooldays. And here we are where people are expected to know each other. Humph. And I am expected to know them? Seriously, I don't really care. Relatives must be fate's way of throwing a loaded dice in your disadvantage. And, we cannot expect people to be thrust upon us with the expectant belief that we are "friends". Kinship and friendship should be forged, not forced. It is precisely this vagueness and insincerity about it which makes me resent the whole enterprise. Oh, and the fact that it's a redundant holiday. Holding a Christmas party also means a whole lot of expenditure, both on food and amenities for the guests and also for presents for everyone. I don't really mind the food that much, since it's something my parents would absolutely refuse to buy (and Cold Storage absolutely refuse to sell) for the rest of the year, plus we can keep most of it for ourselves, i.e. 'leftovers'. It's the whole present-giving custom ... habit ... compulsion I find utterly disturbing. Personally, I don't expect anything from anyone, and therefore I would wish that others do not expect something from me. Unfortunately, present-giving parents tend to have the habit of writing their childrens' names as the gift givers on the tags of presents in an attempt to act cute and thus the wrong image is conveyed. If people think that giving present is a reflection of how much they treasure their relationships as relatives or friends, I would like to know how I should deal with the people who I consider barely kin and little less than kind. It's all out of hand, and I want no part of it. Unfortunately, my parents are bloody Roman Catholics, so there you have it. If anyone was going to ask me which present I would like, I would rather have the money that they would have spent purchasing it. Take consolation in the fact that such a present is non-refundable, and is highly unlikely to be passed on the next Christmas to another unsuspecting guest. Anyway, if I was going to give a gift to someone, I predict that I would have an easy time since at least, other people have a clear idea of what they want, like world peace and freedom for Nelson Mandela. Oops, that's done already. posted by Charlotte | 3:15 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||