Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Friday, January 16, 2004  

(8) Who ... is ... it?

Oh great, now I'm two behind,. Blame that on two consecutive days of coming home at the dot of midnight (more specifically, less than two minutes before) and thus not in a mental position to type anything. But I am still here! Let's try something pretty freaky that I wouldn't touch if I ever had any concern for my wallet. Er, you know what I mean by that, I hope (I wish...).

The abruptness of the mysterious stranger's arrival took me aback, and, while sitting on the edge of a cliff, being suddenly surprised can be very dangerous to your physical well-being. I cocked my head back a little to get a better glance at the approaching creature but saw nothing more than that eerie glint that seemed to persist despite a change in lighting. As the sun gradually lit up its clean white clothing, I then noticed that it was a robe, from a laboratory of some sort, and the belt appeared to be neatly secured in its front but toward the back, it sagged a little. Its buckle could not be seen. What I thought was hair, was in fact the ragged ends of a hood which, like a head of hair, served to conceal whatever was hiding beneath it. Just what was this strange, dishevelled approacher?
As I sat gazing, it sidled ... practically coasted up to me, its robe seeming to drift along, its robe remaining as empty as ever. What was this freak of nature, some sort of bodiless ghost or something? Yet, it must have had substance, or else the vibrant winds would have blown its lifeless clothes to the ground. And then it stopped. Like a scarecrow staked into the soil, it simply stood still while its coat and robe flapped in the breeze.
Which attitude to take now, to an unknown, unidentifiable, completely passive body? Apprehension? Timidity? Even ... friendship? Being not particularly proficient at any, and certainly not caring enough to specialise in either, I decided to go for the approach which I was fondest of ... indifference.
"What is it?" I breathed in a voice crafted of the most irregular blend of apathy, contempt and reverence.
No response. Only the sound of an empty robe fluttering in the seaside wind. One sleeve of the robe was blown back so strongly that, had there been a person in there, their arm would appear to have been utterly dislocated.
"Do you want something?" I demanded a little more hastily. Being the kind who usually minds my own business as far as I deem appropriate, I was reflexively irritated by the slightest intrusion into my personal sphere of privacy. And, what thoroughly annoys me is when people seem to have no motive or direction whatsoever in taking their actions.
The hood wafted a little, but again remained in concealment of its mysterious owner.
"Well, then don't waste my time," I muttered in a suitably exaggerated huff, "If you won't leave me alone, I guess that's a signal for me to get lost," I folded my legs back from the edge of the precipice and, carefully patting down my skirt, I got up to leave. I strode forward, and out of a mischievous and spiteful sense contrived by my broiling annoyance, I carelessly flung out an arm to thrust the stranger aside.
And then ... I felt it.
A sudden surge of emotion ran up the skin and the veins of my arm, like the last fleeting signals a nerve would send before it is brutally severed, forcing me to retract it immediately. Holding it to my chest in an attempt to protect it, I thought I saw olive pustules slowly rising along the length of my already bony fingers. Swollen so much, they burst out in a shower of hissing yellow pus, splattering my face and dress. I saw a seething dirty blackness form at my fingertips and gradually seep toward my palm, cracking, oozing a brown sludge. I saw ... I remember a doctor saying that in such a case of malignant gangrene, it was necessary to amputate the limb involved to avoid it spreading uncontrollably to the rest of the body. I saw ... I remember ... I feel myself living the rest of my life with one arm, able only to sit back and nurse my sorrows while other sprightly children being what was once my age joyfully frolicked, never having to ever endure such an encounter with such a fearson yet utterly unknown creature.
And then I looked more carefully, and my arm was still there. I looked behind me, and I saw the treacherous thorns of the beach below yawning up to greet me. I looked beside me, and that clean laboratory robe, now resting in stillness in a lull of the wind, was there, its sleeve raised to the road behind it.
And then I looked more carefuly, and I realised that there was indeed something living in that robe, and it was telling me something. Would that same scarecrow hold its arm aloft without the aid of the breeze?
"Do you want me to go somewhere?" I questioned, now a bit less confident of myself, and more fearful of whatever abominable power that monster might possess.
Almost instinctively, its arm dropped and the creature glanced away from that same panoramic view of the sea I had been savouring, and back towards the road which stretched on behind me, parallel to the cliff. As it turned, however, another gust of wind seemed to catch its robe in the back, and as if caught by surprise, the being suddenly lurched forward. A small shiny object fell from its hood and landed softly in the tufty grass, but the figure, ignoring it, simply progressed forward.
Despite my wariness, I inquisitively bent down to retrieve the small object. It was a ring, with a gemstone embedded in it. More specifically, a small diamond, which despite its size was meticulously cut so as to catch the rays of the sun glowing toward the cliff when being held at any angle. It was a little bigger than my size ... maybe it was ... someone's wedding ring?
The stranger continued to glide away from the cliff, seemingly oblivious as to whether or not I was following. But my frightening experience, coupled with this less than common find, stoked my curiosity and despite what vestiges of common sense I still retained, I felt compelled to follow this being. I obediently stepped forward, only barely aware of the morning dew which, strangely enough, seemed to coat ever more finely the grass where the creature had stood.

- your adventure will continue ... I guess ... -

I don't really know what that is ... some kind of gothic fantasy horror mystery? No, I don't write this stuff, ergo, I'm no good at it. Though I just wish people would turn away from the stereotypical monsters, like the usual undead hordes, angry vampires (I'm sorry, but that includes White Wolf), monsters from the lagoon, hungry dinosaurs and reptiloids, big dragons, horses with miscellaneous anatomic enhancements, you get the idea. Well, in all honesty, I don't really like monsters at all. When they're your enemies, there often isn't a satisfactory explanation as to why they so hate and enjoy killing innocent player characters so much, and when they're your allies (i.e. Pokémon, Digimon, Oh Mon ...), they're often created powerful enough such that one wonders why don't they just ignore those enslaving humans or better yet, turn on them and take over the world. For me, the human techonological dominance over animals (i.e., no technology, no dominance) is balanced enough, with technology being the "human advantage" compared to the animals' own biological advantages, and that is why powerful, super-human (er ... super-animal?) monsters don't appeal to me. Nor aliens or robots, for that matter, thank you very much.
But magic does. Ah, but that is for totally different reasons.

posted by Charlotte | 3:58 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!