Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Wednesday, January 28, 2004  

- War of Words, Part III.ii -

10. This is easier than I thought!

First, I simply stared at the seemingly nonsensical scribbles scratched all over the scroll. They didn't look readable ... they merely felt as if they meant something. As I fervently attempted to delve into the hidden mysteries of the scroll, I thought I saw the scrawls swim before my eyes, and to change and distort and merge. I felt my lips tremble as I sensed a mystical transformation before me. Did it really change at all?
I blinked, and suddenly all seemed to be as it was, the writings on the scroll remained indecipherable, my mind seemed relaxed again. And I kind of felt good about the experience of it all.
"Well, how do you feel, dear Xkwyr?" Pwyns Xjrmynq asked inquisitively as I stood there dumbfounded, holding the scroll while the heavy sword I carried was lodged between my arm and my chest, "Can you channel the incredible magical energies of my homeland?"
"I don't know about channeling energy of whatever, but ..." I stammered as I tried to rationalise the mysterious experience, "I just feel good about it." Then, almost instinctively, I flashed him a wincing smile which, upon hindsight, I never would have under any circumstances. What was I doing?
"Ah, then you have got it!" he exclaimed, and raised both hands to the sky as if he was receiving from the heavens a most holy and divine message or an extremely great boulder, "Indeed, you must be a prodigy of the mystical arts, dear Charlotte, for magic must seem to come so naturally to you while students and scholars must practice and experiment to produce even the slightest of effects. I am indeed most blessed and honoured to have encountered such a skillful and talented spellcaster as yourself, and I congratulate you most wholeheartedly on your astounding achievement!"
"What?" Um, what did I do? I just felt a little happy, that's all ... then with an uncharacteristic grin and shrug of the shoulders, I humbly accepted my fate, "But hey, who cares! Thanks a lot! I'm so happy, you've made my day!"
And then momentarily, my sensibility caught up to me again, "What the heck am I saying? What did I just do to myself?"
"Er, well ..." Pwyns stammered as he attempted to explain, "I think you've cast a spell of curing on yourself. But since you're probably not injured, such a spell of positive energy repaired not your damaged body but your negative emotions so you feel much happier. I think, if the court sorceror told me correctly ..."
"What? So I just made myself act happy?" I cried out in horror as the scroll just about fell from my hands, "This is so stupid! It is like taking an overdose of anti-depression drugs! It is like deluding yourself into a false sense of contentment! It is like ... like the most happy and joyful and wonderful thing I have ever felt! I'm so ..." Was this a magical version of laughing gas or something? "Argh, stop it!"
"Do not fret, good Xkwyr," he attempted to reassure me with another waggle of his finger, obviously oblivious to the immense mental torment I was going through, "I assure you that this sensation will wear off in a short time, since the spell you cast was not a very strong one. Furthermore, this feeling you are experiencing is certainly not an intended efect ... should you injure yourself then use this spell you will definitely not encounter this scenario again. I think ..." he concluded rather uncertainly.
"What, you're saying that I should hurt myself to see if this thing works?" I protested, before I felt that sensation overcome me again as I involuntarily slipped into an unnaturally coquettish position, glancing up at his sun-lit face, "But ... you wouldn't dream of hurting a poor little girl like me, would you?"
"Well, I do have a dagger ..." he pointed out rather suddenly as he reached into his robe again to flick out an elaborate yet functional blade from within, "You may use this for a moment, if you wish ..."
"Uwaa!!" That last comment froze me in mid-pose as all of that unnatural happiness was swiftly purged out of me, "Er, no ... thank ... you ... very much. I guess I'll be fine with these ..." I rolled up the scroll, and, with its counterparts, I stuffed it in a convenient pocket at the side of my dress. They were rather large, such that they could not fit totally into the small compartment, but at least they were light enough that they did not encumber my movement too badly, unlike that massive, hideously oversized ...
"Hey, if I'm going to learn to use magic, I don't really need this ... stupid ... damn ... heavy sword any more, do I?" I muttered as I painfully slipped the monstrosity from under my arm, which had already gone numb from blood deprivation caused by holding the ridiculous thing for so long, "Besides, you do need your ... bloody ... confounded ... royal sword back, don't you?"
"Oh, not for now ... no, I don't," he remarked rather nonchalantly as, in shock, my grip on the abomination loosened and it fell to the ground, nearly smashing the bones in my feet and smacking me rather painfully in the stomach, "I, having been trained in the swift and graceful techniques of the Assassin, in truth find myself more comfortable with the humble dagger. Bearing a full-length sword would only be an encumberance should we encounter enemies or opposition of some sort. Furthermore, while you may focus your energies in the magical arts it is also important to have some sort of defense against physical attacks, and that is why I believe you ought to be thankful that I so graciously loan my royal sword to you to assist you in our endeavours."
W ... what? Be thankful? Well, excuse me! Lugging this imbecilic thing around would practically assure that anyone who wanted to kill me would be able to cut me down in seconds ... before I could even lift it. Why did he even bring this piece of rubbish around with him anyway, if he wasn't going to use it?
"Make haste, good my Xkwyr," he called out, ambling along without paying attention to either my plight or my mounting resentment against him for burdening me so, "It is imperative that I find my good Princess as soon as possible so that we may be fast married, and peace and unity may once again reign over our divided lands. Onward!"
With scrolls in my pockets and a dirty great sword between my hands, I stumbled forward as the royal twit gambolled along in a deranged happiness that reminded me of my own just moments before.

Charlotte became a Level 1 Priestess! Yippee!
*revelry* *street parade* *marching band*

- Will your adventure continue? Flip a one-sided coin. -

posted by Charlotte | 3:56 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!