Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Tuesday, January 27, 2004  

- War of Words, Part III.i -

9. Just what is this gibberish?

I couldn't do it. That's because I couldn't understand it. And that is because I couldn't even read the damn thing! It was as if its author had written it while sitting outside during a wintry day, just after having downed several mugs of coffee. It wasn't even words, or symbols, it was just scrawls. I guess, if one had a vivid imagination, those scrawls did look a little like articles from the alphabet, but even if they were they didn't look pronounceable.
"What is this nonsense?" I bawled as Xjrmynq gazed at me in an almsot teasing fashion, "I can't read this stuff! It looks like ... like just a stream of consonants. Are you sure you're not just trying to make a fool out of me?"
"No, no, my dear Xkwyr," he chuckled, waggling a finger as he watched from his pedestal of greatness with me wallowing in the ignorance beneath, "If I wanted a fool, there are many at my disposal already present at the palace and they'll do a far better job of it than you can. But you are right, on both counts."
His face suddenly grew serious as he sighed, and his haughty shoulders sank a little. Breaking off from my little tantrum, I wondered just what it was that was so profound as to impress someone with his attitude.
"These words are the pure expression of the stream of Consonance. It is the energy that fuels our mystical land, that empowers our scholars and soldiers with incredible powers that defy science and logic. And it is utterly incomprehensible to those who cannot find affinity with it."
He paused a little at this, and covered his face with his palms in a powerful expression of dismay. I stood aback, suspicion of any trick of his having dissipated.
"One of which I profess myself to be," he confessed solemnly, before raising a fist to rail at the sky, "That is why, good Xkwyr, my parents wish me to find a noble and honourable maiden to be my wife, such that my life will be complete, and I may finally find true peace and harmony with this great stream of Consonance, and, as one with this awesome power, lead my nation to greater advancement."
Um, okay. Quite a speech, I must say, and I almost subconsciously wiped away a tear at the declaration of his laudable intentions. But I still couldn't understand the stupid scroll.
"There should be no worries, then," Pwyns exclaimed as he snatched the illegible scrolls out of my hand, and almost reflexively fell back into his mischievously lackadasiacal mood, "You still have that sword, right (oh, how could I forget ...)? On your path to becoming a member of the honourable Knyghts Y Frry, you may train as a powerful swords-girl with my ceremonial weapon! Onward, brave warrior!" 'Brave warrior?' Didn't I just say I couldn't lift that ridiculous thing? And now he wants me to fight with it? I simply have got to find a way out of this.
"Er, but, good Sir," I stammered, trying to fake uneasiness as much as possible while I was bursting with passion in a desire to tell him off, "What would you use in battle, then?"
"I?" repeated Pwyns with a shake of his hair, "Why, I have my own weapon, then!" He reached into his robe to pull out another blade which gleamed with the reflection of the morning sun ... and in comparison to the nonsensically huge sword I was carrying looked more like a kitchen knife.
Hey, w ... wait a minute! "Um, isn't that ..."
"Never fear, my faithful young follower," he proclaimed while waving that pathetic article of cutlery in the air like a deranged chef, "Being of royal blood, I was not trained in the rough and unbecoming art of heavy combat but instead in the skillful and graceful techniques of bringing swift death to one's enemies with the dancing dagger of the Assassin. That sword I bear is merely one that designates my rank and status to my countrymen and my opponents, and, I assure you, despite its ceremonial role it is every bit as fearsome and deadly as the blade of any common soldier. Fret not for I will find you an appropriate replacement as soon as I possibly can, but feel free to train yourself in swordsmanship with the aid of the blessings borne by this royal sword you bear!"
All right. That was a bit convoluted, but at the very end of it I knew that I had once again been degraded in the eyes of the oh-so-high and mighty Pwyns Xjrmynq of Consonance. And I was stuck with a sword that was so utterly royal I felt it was better left in the stone where it was found.
"But, my good lord ..."
"And now, that you have been given the blessing of the royal house of Consonance, we should tarry no longer," he announced once again without paying attention to a word that a lowly grunt such as I uttered, "We should make haste for the capital of Va World, whereupon I may meet the princess who is destined to be my bride! Onward, most courageous and gallant Xkwyr!"
And he marched on, leaving me standing there clutching that damnable sword to my chest, and feeling thoroughly miserable indeed. I guess I had better start liking this thing if I wanted any reward that a windbag like him could have promised.

Charlotte became a Level 1 Swords-girl! Hooray!
*fanfare* *confetti scatter* *handshakes all around*

- Can you believe it? Your adventure is likely to continue even after so long! -

posted by Charlotte | 3:32 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!