Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Friday, January 30, 2004  

- A Way with Words, Part III.ii -

12. What? No!! What are you talking about?!

I was paralysed. I had to be. For how could I be expected to be reminded of anyone by my name except myself? What was this ridiculous fellow babbling on about? I'm not one to be unnecessarily rude to perfect strangers ... except to perfect strangers who find it (consciously or otherwise) in their mind to be similarly rude to me. Only something as utterly provoking as this could trigger in me the necessary reactions to overcome my natural timorosity.
"Well, excuse me!" I retorted, hands instinctively thrust upon my hips to strike an imposing figure ... or at least the most imposing I could, being rather pathetic and all, "That isn't a very nice thing to say! For starters, it's an extremely rude question to put to people, and furthermore, I don't even know who you are, yet you ask me such a personal question! I must say that I am feeling very offended indeed!"
Aei and her mother gaped at me, as anyone would at somebody who had just spotaneously combusted, "Er, Charlotte ..." stammered Aei rather timidly in a fashion not too dissimilar from mine just minutes before, "That's my father ..." Really? He looks kind of old to be the father of such a young girl ...
"Oh, er, um ..." It probably wasn't particularly pleasant of me to tell him off, either. Maybe he was a bit senile, or was asking the question in all genuinity. Perhaps I ought to say something to mediate my harshness ... "I guess that I ..."
"Oh, forgive me!" the old codger bawled out as he suddenly fell to his knees, "Forgive me, Princess! I ... I'm not worthy, no, no I ain't! Have mercy on me poor soul!"
The old man's words seemed to drive a cleft across my stream of thought. This time, I did not have the slightest idea of what he was babbling about. Had he just been struck by a divine bolt of weirdness or something? And what's this nonsense about a Princess?
"Princess? You?" Aei gazed at me in wonderment, the curiosity of her eyes piercing me to my heart, "Really?"
"W ... what ..." I stuttered as I backed away uneasily, "I haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about! Honestly! I don't even know how or when I got here! You're scaring me!"
"Ay, lass, don't punish me! I'm but a farmer making his life on da land," cried the freakishly deranged bloke as he stumbled toward me on his knees, trying to grasp my hands which I stuck out to ward him off as I backed away, "Ah have been paying me taxes and supporting da King your father, aye, don't hurt me now your majesty!" Help ...
"So ... that's why he's been thinking about the Princess," his wife called out from the dinner table in a voice more sensible than that of anyone else, "She's on the front page of the news paper!"
"The news paper?" I murmured a little more thoughtfully as I glanced while she brought it over, the door being the obstacle preventing me from escaping the old man's mercy-seeking clutches. He caught my hands in his wrinkled, weatherbeaten ones and caressed them with his tear-stricken fingers while he cooed in an infantile fashion.
For a moment, I felt that I was glancing into a mirror as I saw a familiar silver-haired girl adorning the front page of the news paper, which was oddly titled the 'Ouaiie Eie'. Before I could get a closer glance, however, Aei skipped over and gleefully wafted the paper out of her mother's hands to read it herself.
"Unbelievable! Impossible! Unnaturally absurd!" she read as I carefully tried to bring my hands out of the old man's wringing grasp, as his wife tried to coax him away with a gentle massage to his back, "Royal Princess Uaeouue Missing! Can't be you, though," Aei lowered the paper and gave me a sharp glance as my attention turned to her, "The girl here looks and dresses quite a bit more sexy, you know ..." Well, gee. Thanks a lot. Maybe I should have played along with the mistaken identity thing instead.
"My dear husband is particularly fond of the Princess," explained the lady she fervently attempted to calm the old man down while I toweled my hands off with a convenient dishrag she had handed me, "He met her a number of years ago and, bless my soul, he couldn't bear the poor lass leaving his sight. It was just the two of us back then, so that's why ..."
"Mmm ... what an interesting story," exclaimed Aei in her inscrutably cheerful fashion as she tossed the paper to the side and ambled over to me, "So, how are you this fine morning, your royal highness?"
"That's enough ..." I muttered helplessly, which was all I could say, "I already have enough problems on my hands and I don't want to be any more confused."
"Ah, exactly," laughed Aei in an unnervingly soaring tone, "That's why you should solve some of them so that we can have more fun!"
"Good idea," interrupted her mother in a more serious tone, after she had escorted the old man, who was breathing so heavily he looked hyperventilated, to a comfortable chair, "Dear, why don't you bring Charlotte to town so that she can find her way back home from here?"
"Alright mammy," smiled Aei, before she opened the door and grasped my sleeve to yank me out, "Do step this way, your most honourable majesty!"
"Oh stop it ..." Groan.

- End (n.) 1. conclusion. 2. terminus. 3. something that's not here -

posted by Charlotte | 3:36 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!