Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Thursday, January 29, 2004  

- A Way with Words, Part III.i -

11. I don't know ... but I guess so ...

"Um ... well ... I don't know ..."
The old codger gave me a sideways glance that looked like he was either checking the amount of dirt in my ears or preparing to pounce on and devour me in a gory fashion. Basically, I didn't know what he was looking at or what he was thinking, but I knew it was something unpleasant. Anything to avoid an unpleasant fate, even ...
"But, come to think of it ..." I stammered as he advanced another step, brown eyes and yellow teeth gleaming while his wife and daughter simply stood and stared, "I guess you must be right ..."
"Oh, ya do know somebody?" the bloke suddenly shot upright as the words I barely eked out of me seemed to strike him, "Ah, aye, I guess I do be brighter than I thought!" He stood there and scratched his head dumbly while the other two shifted their curious gaze to him. For me, I felt like crouching to the floor and beating my head against the dusty wooden floorboards. What a joke.
"Don't harm the child, dearie," the old lady chided soothingly as she sidled over to the geezer, still cackling obnoxiously to himself, and gave him a warm rub on his back, "We ought to welcome people who don't mean us any harm, rather than scare them out onto the open road where they'll meet all kinds of worser strangers."
"Come to think of it, pappy," mentioned Ayie as she surveyed my startled expression, "She does look a little familiar (so do you, my dear ...) ... I have a funny feeling I saw her somewhere else ... today!" Today? How could I have been somewhere else, today? It's only the middle of the morning ... or have I been sleepwalking during the waking hours? But then again, according to the old lady, she did see me ...
"Today? Oh!" she suddenly realised something as she left off rubbing the oddly smiling farmer's back and went off to the dinner table to fetch something, "Doesn't she look like what's on today's front page?" Front page? I appeared in the news papers? Now what in heaven's name have I been doing?
She grabbed the news paper, folded on the dinner table, and tossed it lightly to Aei who caught it easily. Aei unfurled it, to reveal the front page of a news paper titled, 'Ouaiie Eie', and below it, a picture, in colour, of ... me? Or so it seemed at first glance, before Aei snatched it away to read it herself. And though I was curious as to just what appeared to be a likeness of myself was doing in the news paper I was far too stunned to even change my facial expression.
"Shock! Horror! Unnecessary exclamations!" Aei read, as I gapingly glared forward at the old couple who were attentively listening to their daughter, "Royal Princess Uaeouue Missing! Missing?" Aei lowered the paper a little, glared at me in a fashion probably similar to the face that I was pulling at her, before turning back to it. Then she turned to me, and then back to the paper again, and again to me like a pendulum on a short string quickly alternating between two points.
"No ..." Aei finally announced, much to my, er, relief, I guess. Anything for a bit of certainty, "They don't look the same. The royal Princess looks a bit older, her hair is parted in a different way, her chest is a bit bigger ..." Hey! Not that I really care, but ... honestly!
"Princess?" the old man stammered, before breaking out before me in a distraught fashion, "Princess! Oh, my princess! Missing! This is darned awful!" Uh, my princess? Having regained a bit of control over my senses, no longer being the centre of attention, I shot the old lady a rather puzzled look.
"Oh, you see ... well ..." she crossed over to me, giving a glance to both her husband and Aei, before whispering in my ear, "Quite some years ago, my husband met the princess and thought she was the most beautiful thing in the world. That is why Aei is here, you know. She's brought so much happiness to me and my dear husband." She ... wait ... no ... how many years ago was this? I was racking my brain with mathematics when Aei, having perused the article throughly, tossed the paper onto a side table and stepped up to me.
"Mammy, what is it you are whispering about?"
"Nothing, dear ..." she replied tactfully as she sidled back (my, she is dextrous on that pair of slippers ...) to her old man to comfort him and prevent him from tearing up floorboards in his angst, "Why don't you help out Charlotte over there?"
"Yeah, good idea!" Aei exclaimed before gazing back up at me with that inscrutable grin of hers, "Haha ... it looks like you really need help! Unless you really want to be mistaken for the princess ... not that I'd mind *giggle* ... I guess I'd better hurry and help you get home from here. Why don't I take you to town, and maybe you can find something there?"
I nodded timorously as I watched the old man clutching his head in his hands, his eyeballs on the verge of exploding, while his wife attempted to soothe him with some massage therapy. I needed all the help I could get to find my way home before I forgot what little I already knew about myself. And help, any help at all, would be appreciated, even coming from someone I found as difficult to thank as a girl several years my junior.
And what was that she said about ...

- Adventure? End? What's that? I haven't heard of it! -

Oh, just a little update about real life ... York just offered me a BBB to read History there! And from my point of view, I find that fantastic because I haven't got anything so far beyond being kicked out by Cambridge and an unanswered letter by East Anglia which just happened to arrive during the A levels requesting work samples. Furthermore, York is one of the best for History (top 5 in most guides), and the average offer as given in the previous prospectus is AAB. And, if I get AACC or worse for my A levels I think I really need to go top myself for wasting 12 years of education. So, the question is just whether I should seriously consider it or try for Cambridge again ...
No, I'm a loser who just doesn't know when to give up, in life or the lack thereof.

posted by Charlotte | 3:59 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!