Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Wednesday, March 24, 2004  

I don't believe it. That's the second day without games. Now my eyes become square if they even look at an unlit screen for more than 15 minutes. Urgh ... *breaks into zombie drawl*
(someone throws Holy Water from ... from far away)
Right, and it appears that as a result of doing my best to avoid playing, the amount of time I try to spend out of the house increases, because, as I said, there's little to do in my house except stare at screens, or at blank screens. Therefore, as I actually gain real experience and not just a second experience of the same thing, the quality of my newsy posts should dramatically increase. Unfortunately, not playing games doesn't seem to do much with my productivity on text ... now I get even more tired than before staring at the screen thinking of how to write.
Anyway, I went to the library again because I didn't think of the books I wanted to borrow when I went there yesterday, so I decided to return to get some. Like Beowulf for instance, and The Three Musketeers by Dumas (though why I chose that I haven't the faintest idea). As well as two of Jules Verne's nice epics that I've always wanted to read but never put effort into them. In my, er, book, the French are really great at writing fiction. And that applies to you, mister Michelet, otherwise known as Jules of Arc.
What I read ... hmm ... no review of any kind this time, but I decided to read the nice poem Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope. Yay! I love rhyming couplets, if it doesn't rhyme it isn't worthy of being called poetry (no, Shakespeare wrote plays as well as poetry, thank you). Most people would know this poem for being one of Pope's most famous works but it's also somewhat less famous for featuring the absolute worst game of Bridge ever described in a piece of literature.
The heroine-cum-victim Belinda bids Spades to be the trump, and guess what happens on the first turn? The defenders (as in, the people working to overturn the bid) collect 2 tricks right off the bat, and her King of Spades gets finessed (as in, she failed to play it and a lower card won). The guy next to her plays Spades again, and how could it possibly get worse? Her partner (or the opposition, it doesn't matter) gets the Jack of Spades forced out of his hand and it's immediately snapped up by Belinda's own King of Spades. She and her partner must have a really pathetic bidding system. After that it becomes a spadeless slaughterfest as the other three suits all come out and nobody has any more trumps. Apparently, too, Belinda's carrying an Ace and a King of Hearts. And she bid Spades?! Maybe her partner forgot to reply to her convention ... but he's that same noble who snipped the hair off her head, so perhaps that might have all been part of the plan. Yes, I spent a few minutes drawing out the possible hands, and one must really marvel at just how pathetically they would have lost the game. Would have, because tea was served just in time as they were about to sink to their crushing defeat. What a lousy play of cards.
Oh, but the poem is pretty interesting. As with everything else, if you've got the time and you're interested, go ahead and read it. My only complaints are the undue amount of praises lavished upon the heroine ... but hey, Pope wrote it dedicated to a lady, probably with rather unscrupulous intentions, so there isn't a surprise there. Things are also told in an allegorical fashion, from the point of view of fairies (sylphs of air, gnomes of earth, nymphs of water and salamanders of fire) so you might like that, or maybe not. Ah, it's only twenty pages of rhyming couplets long.

Happy reading! Now leave me to my misery, and suffering, and punishment ...
(someone throws Phoenix Down from even further away)
... *dies, er, returns back to death*

posted by Charlotte | 3:44 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!