![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Saturday, March 13, 2004 Sound card glitch. And what now? Thunderstorms, of course! Remembering how the last time I used the computer during a thunderstorm, my ADSL modem got fried and it cost me $200 to get it replaced, that's $200 that could be spent somewhere else like ... like replacing my sound card which is likely to be on the blink. Since it has been storming these few days, I have been sitting around occupying myself with either sleeping or staring bleary-eyed at lightning storms with the lights off (hence explaining aforementioned bleary-eyedness). That means less time to type, and the fact is while I do have everything in my head I can't type for more than an hour straight, and so ... Oh shut your stupid lame excuses. Your page of 'stories' is now officially blank! It is! Right, so it is. And to 'commemorate' this, I shall bump my last three pieces of writing so that, if you wish to read them, you can do so without clicking on the archive page and getting confused by it. And of course, I will continue writing on top of it. What did I do, anyway? The whole of Friday morning and afternoon was storming. I did get a bit down, before I left the house to attend Budak Pantai's monthly a cappella performance at YMCA building. They invited an all-girls group, NANU (which I profess I have no knowledge of) who were obviously not expected to surpass the resident hosts but, in my opinion, still left much to be desired. Until all girls can fake a bass voice without permanently destroying their vocal cords, the unfortunate truth is that you still need a guy around in any a cappella performance. Because without a lower range, you face problems such as a limited choice of songs, your harmony being cramped too close together and thus obscuring each other, and, worst of all, having to resort to ridiculous gimmicks like doing really weird (and indiscernible) variations in harmony or screeching some incredibly high notes just to woo (and deafen) the audience. I'm totally out of touch with popular music, as is all too clear to anyone who knows me, but as far as my inroads into a cappella go all-girl groups are very much inferior to a group with even just one guy. Of course, Budak is Budak, no need to elaborate about that. Because of the performance, of course, I got back really late. And would you kill me for saying that I was practically wrestling with my internet connection for that last ten minutes before 12 midnight trying to get the blogger update screen to display? Yes, no, it doesn't matter because you're too late. Haha! So that is why there is no Friday post. Saturday, went out for lunch because I won't be able to leave the house until Tuesday at the earliest, and had ramen, of course. Going back, I passed through Funan Centre, where it appears that Energy is holding a free performance cum autograph signing session! Wow! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about pop culture (see above) and thus, well, I have no idea who they are. There's F4, and 5566, and Energy, and ... um, I don't know. But the interesting thing is that I was offered a queue position rather close to the front, and it was quite a pity to turn it down, but it was only 3pm. And they were appearing at 7.30pm! Maybe I could have sold it off to another richer and more desparate Energy fan. Anyway, at Funan Centre, acquired Norton Antivirus Internet Security 2004 edition because I'm utterly sick of all these stupid virus files getting sent to my email, and of course with all the glitches plaguing my computer recently it's best just to double check. So I shall put up AntiVirus, and a spam filter, and a firewall! Hooray for internet isolationism! I also got Hordes of the Underdark for good measure, even though I still have The Frozen Throne left to play (heck, I have The Sims to play, but do I care? Stupid question.). All for a tidy sum of $100, plus GST. It was storming already when I got off the bus from Suntec City. My God, it was so scary even while I was still in the bus ... it was driving right through the middle of the storm, and every bolt of lightning was deadly sharp and lit up the bus like ... like really, really bright lights, and the thunder came instantly. I was watching the results of the Malaysian elections on TV Mobile (Go BN! At least some of their interests coincide with Singapore's ...) and every time the lightning struck, which was at least twice a minute, the screen would flicker and that stupid piercing noise would fill the air. To be followed by the thunder, of course. When I got off the bus, it was right in the middle of the storm. You know the Charge of the Light Brigade? Cannons to the left of them, cannons to the right of them, etc. So I was watching the lightning to see whether the storm was coming or going, and the most frightening thing is that it seemed to be everywhere. You know how that footballer got hit by lightning while standing among his mates, supposedly because he was the tallest one. But by how much? Five centimetres, at most, since he was standing at 1.8m ... the newspapers make him out to be so much taller than the average Chinese footballer. 5cm meaning the difference between life and death, standing in the middle of a football field among mates, in a sky with a mere drizzle. And there I was, all alone, in the midst of a thunderstorm without anything tens of metres tall like a stadium light post within ... tens of metres. So I sprinted the 200m home, actually stopping now and then to observe the lightning and only to go in the open after it had struck. You see how scared I am? Huh ... and I never cared about lightning that much before, beyond an incident too long to relate here. Yes, I do harbour a Freudian 'death urge' far stronger than the average JC student, but trust me, lightning is not the way to go. I do not want to end up in the news papers as an accidental death, nor do I wish to emulate Benjamin Franklin (the idiot, haha!). Anyway, I was tired, and it was still storming. So that meant no continuing with writing for the moment, and I went to sleep until 9+. So here I am. Hooray! Now go back to work. This post is likely to be kept, so if you don't like it, too bad! Kyahaha! posted by Charlotte | 3:40 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||