Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Thursday, March 25, 2004  

Third straight day with no games. I think I'm finally getting into the hang of this ... maybe when I eventually get used to it, I can actually summon enough guts to go out and find a job! Come on, Charlotte, persevere!

In the meantime, I actually read an entire novel in one day. That, dear friends, is an amazing achievement ... for me. The only other 'novel' I read in one whole day was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and that is because I didn't have a choice - either finish reading it, or never know the ending (not as if, as many would argue, it was actually worth knowing). Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth ... quite fun. I'm not just nutty over Shakespeare, my other pet favourite is post-Victorian 19th century science fiction, the only other author in this area being H.G. Wells, mainly because it reflects both a degree of adventurism or the desire thereof as well as a heavy pessimism which looms persistently over one's desires to set forth, both of which I find in myself. The latter theme also features prominently in the inter-war (and mid-war) science fiction such as Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and George Orwell's 1984, although the authors of this period are more likely to pass moral judgement over the situation to which their society is heading, much of which I disagree with. So why shouldn't people be genetically engineered to be stupid, or why shouldn't people be coerced into thinking they are happy? If it's good for society, and if the individual never knows, who cares? Or rather, who might possibly care?
But the former period of science fiction, I find, is much more enthralling largely because of a lack of moralistic assertion on the part of the author, because I find that often completely ruins the experience of the fantasy which science fiction draws one into. Despite what I claim to like, in fact, I have actually read far more science fiction than I have fantasy novels, largely because I'm able to sort out the science fiction which I like and dislike into clear genres so I know where to look if I'm interested in more, while fantasy comes in allsorts, with even the great master Tolkien himself possessing many traits that I'm not too fond of. Like an anathema for intelligent girls, perhaps ... but I liked Shelob. Hehehe.
Okay, well, since it's written just for fun I shall not attempt a book review of any kind here. Just read if you're interested in adventure and the like. Apparently, however, science fiction (and fantasy) of the abovementioned periods seems to particularly enjoy male protagonists, so if you want a girl as the protagonist you'll have to look elsewhere (Then again, I didn't mention 'intelligent girl', did I? Only half of the human race is capable of writing a piece of fiction involving that.). Funnily enough, the introduction to the book was largely spent not on explaining Verne's inspiration or motives in writing it, but rather attempting to prove that it is an intelligent and well-thought out text rather than the simple children's fiction it is deemed to be, and often horribly abridged as. Such as, for example, detailing Verne's intricate attempts to insert his own name into the text, e.g. 'Averni'. So if his surname was, oh say Robespierre, he'd do something funny like write 'Robes la Pierre' or something?
Also, the introduction provided a rather Freudian interpretation to the whole text ... um ... Man's journey into the 'unknown lands', the fact that there are two 'passageways', one which the (undoubtedly male) protagonists got lost in and had to backtrack, the discovery of a 'hidden sea' fertile with life ... and did I mention they needed to venture into a 'twin-peaked mountain' in order to get there? Urgh. Just reading the person's argument makes me severely want to reach for indigestion tablets. Good lord. Please, if anyone wanted to know all that, they would have asked for it specifically, all right? There's no need to tell everyone else and ... oops, I just did. Um, if you didn't read the book, you probably wouldn't know what I meant so try and forget it and then read it yourself later, all right? Let's end this here.

Hey, not bad! Four posts in a row worth keeping! Getting back to my better standards of ranting and blathering, eh? What, what? On other notes, forced to bump again. Like I said, I'm still not keeping pace with story-writing, and so this proves that it wasn't games that were keeping me from writing more. In fact, I probably played more games because I couldn't think how to or didn't feel like writing more. But it's all for an increased length and quality (mmm, ISO CHARLOTTE compliant!), so you know that you're getting good stuff.
Last added note, finalised my UCAS applications offers today when Warwick decided to reject me for history. Reject? Hah! I must be overqualified for them! Blah, of course not (hey, it's people with PhDs who made that decision), but who in the right of mind would reject candidates with the best scores possible, except for universities already teeming with them, of course. Or maybe they thought someone snapped me up already, hehe (Down, ego! Bad girl!). So that's it, a BBB offer upgraded to Unconditional from York, and an AAB offer (met!) from Durham. No choices need be made, except, of course, whether I am actually going to accept any offers or try again for Cambridge this year. Sigh. Talk about ambitious.

posted by Charlotte | 3:41 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!