![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Saturday, April 24, 2004 What happy doings did we do today? With happy counting let us count the ways. Went back to school for *surprise, surprise!* not to watch Chorale at work again, but to watch Artists' Jam as organised by the Creative Writing Club of which I have the honour of being a member, now an alumnus of. Sounds great, eh? Too bad my taste in literature in the form of prose and poetry is barely similar to the large majority of the people present, as evinced from my sharp divergence from the common agreement when I was 'invited' to serve as a judge for the best piece of writing. Oh come on, you know me (or rather, at least my taste in literature)! I only like poems that rhyme ... not to say that I like all poems that rhyme, nor to say that I dislike all poems that do not rhyme. I'd probably do best if someone was looking for a poem with the best rhyme and meter, since that was what I capitalised on most of the time, and especially considering how in some people's efforts to rhyme they end up contorting the meter horribly (and with bad rhymes, as well) producing a distasteful piece of work which so discourages the rest of the world from appreciating pieces in rhyme. In prose I look for, in that order of diminishing importance, plot, character and language, many apologies to Mr. Purvis (not that he would ever forgive me for thinking otherwise from his teachings) and even so, my favours for 'plot' often go to the serious and commonsensical, not romantic (read, Romantic) or sentimental drivel that so often fills the pages of modern plot-oriented texts, whatever few there are. Plus, I have a knack of being picky over spelling and grammar mistakes. VERY picky, especially when the 'mistakes' are genuine, not having a hint of intention about them. One phrase that had me rolling in glee at the cleverness of it, in a piece of descriptive writing, was 'intentional or no', a jibe at any reader if I ever saw one. But what authority have I, as a J3, to place any evaluations on the writings of people only a year, sometimes barely months my junior? Never mind that many people out there have done it already. I'm not worthy ... *rolls on the floor and grovels to all the people she has wronged over writing in some way or another, with the exception of Charles Dickens, Mary Ann "stuff the George!" Evans, Seamus Heaney, Eugene O'Neill and other assorted imbeciles*. Anyway, thanks for the read, everyone who contributed to the programme that day, because whether it was clever and ingenious or not, thought-provoking or stale and flat, either way it was good entertainment to me, one not moulded (yet) into the casts of what defines good writing and what does not. Other things? Hmm ... bought plenty of lollipops today, out of some strange sugar cravings, and devoured three consecutively while watching Artists' Jam, flooding my system with sugar to the extent that my teeth began quivering in the anticipation of being yanked from my mouth by a delighted dentist. My teeth (apart from one twisted canine) are largely fine, albeit stained a permanent pale yellow (eeeeek!), it's just that my gums are horribly strained from the immense chattering I put my jaw through every day. Going to Orchard Road three weeks consecutively has dealt me a flurry of rather unfortunate incidents, so I shall resolve not to return there for many a week. Yes, that means no books from the resourceful Orchard library, but allow me time enough for my exasperation to simmer off. posted by Charlotte | 4:35 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||