![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Wednesday, April 07, 2004 Wrote a little more, and also finished reading a big big book of H.G. Wells' short stories. Hmm ... from this, I now know better than to read big big books of short stories. For starters, short stories aren't the most interesting thing to read unless they're able to catch your attention very quickly, something that Wells can do with some of his stories. However, others are period humour, based on characters and situations deemed funny at that point in time. Try talking about Mohamet or Hindoo gods in the street in that same jocular way some of his characters do, and remember to book a hospital ward while you're at it. Of course, I'm not saying I dislike him, it's just that in a big big book of short stories, the variety of stories becomes a little too diverse, and if you're looking for a particular type of story (like I was) you'll get disappointed on numerous occasions. What is interesting is the way some of his stories have philosophical takes on all sorts of issues, from religion to politics, knowledge, and even enlightenment and nirvana. What I also liked was the way he attempts to offer scientific explanations for everything, and while in the name of fiction he takes many liberties it's rather interesting to speculate on what he comes up with. However, one thing I found unpleasant after a while was his constant fluctuating between different personalities. Of course, that does add variety to the stories, but it creates an undue amount of abruptness between one story and the next, and while that is to be expected of a collection of short stories, it really, really gets on your nerves in a big book of them. What I gradually began to dislike after a while, and I'm sure many people out there would too, is also the way many of his characters are overly empowered. It's the same thing that draws flames on FanFiction.net ... writing a self-insert and making your character too powerful, as a more readily accessible example. His stories where the main character is at a disadvantage are few and far between, and even those that are there do not strike me as being particularly good at encouraging sympathy. This is more a quirk than a real problem, but all of his main characters seem to be incredibly proficient at science in all disciplines ... considering that Wells himself was a biologist ... but it does leave one rather wired after a while. Of course, I have my favourites in the list of stories. Try reading "The New Accelerator", of course by H.G. Wells, about someone who invents a chemical that can make people go super fast, described in a fairly normal, easy-going manner ... think Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. Of course, it's scientifically impossible, but the way the problems and issues of going super fast are dealt with in a scientific manner, such as people's clothes and bodies catching fire from the heat or them getting hungry quickly are a joy to read. Interestingly enough, it casts an insight into the morals and ethics of the people who make drugs for commercial use ... hmm ... If you wish to read it, you can just search for its title over the internet and there'll be someone whose site has it posted. It's much more creative and amusing than simply shouting "Layer upon layer make your mark now!" ... and going faster. Speaking of searching on the internet, trying to relieve the stress from the pounding upon my eardrums of the construction work I did something silly over the internet. Try searching for all sorts of names and terms on any all-compassing search engine, like Google for example, and be amazed at what you can come up with. Search for things that are related or dear to yourself ... and you might find several honourable and less-than-honourable mentions over the internet for them. For example, I searched for 'Chaotic Disintegrate', which is a spell from the Slayers, and guess what? This site is right at the top of the list in Go.0gle! If there really are that many people visiting here, couldn't you all post some comments or anything, huh, please please please? It's so drab and lonely ... *sniffle* -// n.n;\\7 Ugh, talk about the best way to get construction work to start! Just try to go to sleep ... it works every time! posted by Charlotte | 4:51 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||