Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Friday, August 20, 2004  

Most unusual tidings. Riding on a long bus journey through bottlenecked traffic today, and grimly observing the spectacle as played out on the TV Mobile screen home, I realised something very disturbing. For that matter, I was actually watching TV Mobile, an easily disturbed and, as a consequence, exceedingly disturbing piece of media. But that is besides the point.

I have started watching the television again. Without the aid of a PlayStation console plugged into it. I have been watching television. And, what is more, I have actually been watching, and following, programmes which I originally expressed a desire to most fervently ignore, more specifically Singapore Idol and the Olympic Games. Was it that the temptation, the allure of such exaggerated and over-hyped happenings had taken its toll on my futile attempts to resist it? Possibly. But I much prefer to call it a simple change of opinion, except that unusually enough for me it is one encouraged by foreign stimulus rather than being self-induced. In short, I succumbed to the popular sentiment.

Not that any of you would find any reason in resisting it, anyway. It's called 'popular' sentiment for a reason, in that most people subscribe to it, and if you so happen to tend away from it you are criticised by the ignorant masses (well, the ignorant messes) for being a deviationist and a blasphemer, and you're basically not in the know of what is foremost on the minds of aforementioned, perhaps not-so-ignorant masses.
But that assumes the 'thing' in the know is of any actual value or worth to either the individual, the public, or society as a whole. In most instances, such as with regards to entertainment and mass media, it is largely useless. In this case, however, the 'knowledge' at stake has done more than to pique my interest, it is much more than merely deciding to finally jump on the bandwagon and subscribe to the popular perspectives.

Firstly, you might like to know what an avowed enemy of all things pop and entertainment would be doing actually watching Singapore's own version of Pop Idol (Idiots! Interestingly enough, one of the world's least 'popular' countries, the United Kingdom, happened to come up with it). The cynical might see it as an exploration of how utterly devoid of talent Singapore happens to be in the musical field. A worthy objective, laughing at people with no talent. But the truth is that there are actually people out there who can sing, not just within reasonable means, but sing well. Or, more correctly, it depends on your view of just what constitutes good-sounding music. You know me, I would never laugh at the inferiority of people with regards to an attribute I am even further devoid of (discriminate against them as a whole, yes, but laugh at them, no), and, having already considered it, it is clear that I am already in the know of the latter.
As such, I must profess that the true reason why I actually watch Singapore Idol would be to find out just who, in relatively untalented Singapore, would turn out to be the next popular artist. Not that I care much about the common notion of popular. But what of the Singaporean brand of it? Would Singaporeans have different tastes with regards to what constitutes the ideal music artist? Not merely in the musical aspect, but also in appearance, dress, carriage, attitude and demeanour, and so on. And why is it that the more successful of Singapore's already established performers tend to be more moderate, of a lower profile? Is that the ideal Singaporean artist? I certainly hope so, because I do not want to see more of the 'new' generation of ragged ruffians like JJ Lin, who dares show his unwashed face on the stage of the National Day Parade with shirt unbuttoned and tie (put on for the heck of it) untightened, who ought to be run through a spin-dryer.
In the meantime, it waits to be seen whether or not the people who did sign up for Singapore Idol can actually sing as well on stage as they claim in the audition rounds in the previews. Who will be the next Singapore Idol? That's something I leave Gurmit Singh to say. I shall be watching. And it turns out that the guy with the bad curly hair and rotten sunglasses, who mostly repeats his fellow judges, happens to be Douglas Oliviera. Hmm.

(EDIT) Olympics ... hmm, I had a lot to say. But I guess Singapore's Olympic dream for 2004 is over, so any comments or points made are moot. Mostly, I watched it in anticipation of what was going to come, but now that it looks like nothing will be heading Singapore's way, I'm still watching. Just because sometimes it's interesting to see how they count the score for different sports.
Of course it's unfortunate and disappointing, but no degree of whining or crying is going to change anything for you or for the people halfway across the world in Europe, so one's only choice is to accept the way things have turned out.

posted by Charlotte | 4:19 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!