Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Sunday, October 03, 2004  

I'm sure most of you avid game-players out there have seen something like this before, but what particularly amuses me about this site is their choice of names ... the whole concept of attempting to coleasce the generalities in games into a set of theories and laws, with exceptions duly noted, is half the fun of exploring this site. If you have some time to spare, you might want to consider giving this site a look if you haven't already.

Dictionary of RPG Clichés ...
http://serpent231.tripod.com/cliche.shtml
For a little less theory, and more humour, try...
http://www.project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Speaking of RPGs, I managed to complete Hordes of the Underdark today. While the final confrontation (I wouldn't say 'battle') is rather ... odd, depending on how sneaky and underhanded (or foolishly honourable) you are, it has the kind of ending I like, where, instead of displaying some pre-manufactured script or FMV, it discusses various key points in the game (or, in other games, the key characters) and how your actions and choices in the game affected the final outcome. It's slightly better than simply having multiple endings, because in games with multiple endings there will be insanely zealous players going all out to reach the 'ultimate' best ending (whacking Lavos after getting Robo, anybody?) and failing to reach this optimal outcome leads to being dismissed as not being successful enough. While, when you can choose how you want to end the game, and in so doing express yourself in character, the experience is much more rewarding. It's this kind of stuff which, strangely enough, really warms my heart.
Well, and the ending of FFIV, FFVI and Tactics as well. FFIV, for the old-school charm, FFVI for injecting both humour and sentimentality into the 'run away' kind of ending (FFVII), and Tactics for the massive analytical value (as opposed to, um, FFV?). No, the ending of FFIX and definitely FFVIII don't cut it. Did I remember to rate 'best ending' that time long ago when I discussed the various Final Fantasies?

posted by Charlotte | 4:01 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!