Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Sunday, November 07, 2004  

This moment had to come. I am going to stop putting up new posts.

Why? The reason being ... I am lagging behind at an unacceptable degree, and before I can even think of taking a new step forward I ought to actually be lifting up the foot which is anchored behind me. Fine, laugh, all you detractors, at my ineptness despite ages of boasting and bragging and ranting and raving. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. It can no longer be a matter of merely adjusting the 'number of posts displayed'.

Elaboration? It has been four months since I actually finished the chapter of my little choose-your-own novella starring yours truly as the truly helpless and feckless protagonist. Add that to all those book reviews which I always wanted to write but always forgot largely due to returning the book before starting out on writing the reviews. And now I say I want to post all manner of comments and complaints about Singapore Idol. Why can't I remember the old adage, to always finish what you star...

That being said, the example given above is actually a good suggestion to all you people out there kind, unoccupied, or daft enough to visit and actually read my lengthy postings on my site. If ever you have problems getting something done, try restricting yourself in your choice of actions in order to coerce yourself to do something. Preferably, that thing that you're restricting should be related to the thing you need done. Like I tell myself I'm not going to take another book out of my shelf until I replace all of those I fetched out and left lying around the place. Or that I'm not going to buy any more titbits until I finish all those half-open packets still inside the fridge.
Don't try to do the impossible, of course, and say that "I'm not going to play any more computer games until I finish mugging so-and-so", firstly because the temptation to renege on your promise is usually far too strong, as the relative values of the deeds in question (the thing to be restricted, and the thing to be done) are often not comparable, and secondly because if you actually set out doing that thing you want to do just so you can do the first thing, you usually end up doing it half-heartedly, accomplishing nothing substantial. Like, for example, you simply flip through the chapter or notes just so you can run off happily to play games. Or you gobble down whole handfuls of sweets without regard to either your waistline or their expiry date just so you can get the latest new snack being advertised everywhere. Farfetched examples, of course, but the practice can be an effective one if applied correctly.
Find yourself faltering, and take steps to redress it. Of course, this is a deed that requires quite some strength of will to accomplish ... some experimentation can help you find the limits of your resistance. The weak-willed find themselves unable to commit to any promises, even those made to themselves, while the strong-willed ... heck, they would have submitted their desires to their priorities long before and they wouldn't be in such a pickle as the everyday you and I. Just my two bits worth of advice, and something interesting which is actually worth leaving up as a post.

posted by Charlotte | 3:42 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!