![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Saturday, August 12, 2006 I just bought this book, Historians' Fallacies : Toward a Logic of Historical Thought by David Hackett Fischer, originally published in 1970. It's a pretty cool summary of the various possible mistakes made by historians when creating, writing and presenting history, which is fun in itself, but I bought the book more because I was intrigued by how the various examples of thoughtless usage of facts and language can lead to distortions, whether deliberate or not, and how such analytical techniques can be applied to more than just history, for example, in writing. Plus, he uses a lot of math in his explanations, which helps add another dimension in aiding the reader in understanding something as vague as language. Maybe after I've read through, I'll give my little story a skim through to see if I can pick out any more unintentional mistakes in plot and presentation which, until now, may have eluded my gaze. And I see British Imperialism : 1688 to 2000 by Cain and Hopkins on sale. I don't really want to buy it because it looks really dry and textbook-like (think Calvocoressi) ... but one of my fellow students says that it's on the reading list. I'm in two minds about getting it. What the heck, Messr Hopkins is the Smuts Historian for Commonwealth Studies at Cambridge, and if I'm going to be attending his lectures, there's no doubt that he'll be quoting from his book. But just glancing through, I think I might do better without it. Like I said, I can't make up my mind, so I shall let the winds of fate decide ... decide before I next go down to take a look again. posted by Charlotte | 4:58 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||