Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Thursday, August 31, 2006  

This morning, as expected, I trooped back to RJC at Bishan to visit my old college (or rather, the old people from my college) for what's probably the last time in a very long time. Met some old classmates and visited the teachers and handed out my cake =P But the conversation was minimal. To be truthful, after the many times I've been back to see the teachers for business not directly related to my own benefit, further banter is more of a formality than anything special. Not as if I'd imagine any of them were very (read, very) glad to see me back, since I'm not exactly a living legend and I didn't leave a legacy or anything worth remembering much (other that I'm just another weird kid).
Interesting, it looks like Raffles Institution is building another block, at what I remember was once an open field, linking them with RJC. It's scary, just how many kids are they planning to have under that great big umbrella of the Raffles Programme? Or are they planning to squeeze RGS in there? Heaven forbid, it already says Raffles Institution on the front.
I did say many times that this Raffles Programme thing is not so much about education as about enterprise. But that's not really any of my business. Soon, with university and all coming up, the memories JC will just be another dot on the horizon, slipping into the distance. It's pretty sad, considering that it's been the brightest point so far of my very short life.

One thing I did enjoy, a little, was meeting this year's kids (well, considering that I'm out of JC, it's a bit hard to stay in the eternally-seventeen mode when I'm back visiting) who are doing the early applications to study at Oxbridge. The immense stress, pressure, worry and frustration. I had to go through that twice, I know it well .... at least the Cambridge part of it. They were fussing over personal statements and model essays with Rolly, who was at it throughout the day and had also, for some reason avoided the Teacher's Day lunch provided by the school.
I met a couple of them later on at the school bookshop, a girl named Lau Hui Ting and another boy whose name I didn't get, but I recognise him by his headpiece (not too sure what group that's from ...), who were buying stamps to mail their open (as advised) application for Oxford. Being the naturally genial sort *cough* I told them Oxford is a way more beautiful place than Cambridge. I still think it is. And I was careful to add in the caveat that one actually has to visit both places and form a judgement rather than simply declaring them as "beautiful" (which, ironically, renders my statement rather pointless, but still ...). And I told them the trouble I'm having right now sorting out all these critical things at the last minute, and not by my choice, thank you very much, and how miserable I am right now.
And what really cheered me up and brightened my day was how she replied, saying that students like them would gladly wish they were in my place. I don't think I need to, and don't feel like explaining those words. Thanks, Hui Ting.

EDIT : It seems I've heard of someone named Lau Hui Ting, but who's studying at Cambridge. Either I was very confused at the time, or the two people have exactly the same name ... unlikely, but not impossible. Anyway, I wouldn't be able to tell until someone corrects me, so apologies all round in advance. Besides, it's not like either of them know that I happened to mention them on this page.

posted by Charlotte | 4:59 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!