![]() Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard. Where anything goes. -//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7 |
|
Sunday, August 13, 2006 - The Wayward, Part XIII.i - 35. And just where did you put your carriage, Io Aoi? Striding out into the blazing sun, the most demanding of human cravings that is hunger now fulfilled, my attention now turned to addressing a new craving which had arisen in the process of satisfying the first … the hunger for knowledge. Examining the diary or scientific journal of some kind, which I now knew was the Princess Uaeouue’s, had summoned new, intriguing, and, more often than not, disturbing thoughts in my head. What exactly were those alchemical formulae depicted within the pages of the leather-bound tome? What was the use of such formulae? How was this related to the unworldly gelatinous creation which had led me to their source, and provided me with the means of acquiring them? What did this have to do with the Princess’ disappearance and the explosion of the secret government laboratory? What exactly was the Princess doing in that secret government laboratory … or, maybe, perhaps … *shudder* … what exactly were they doing to the Princess, in that secret government laboratory? As a bead of sweat trickled from my forehead, cutting a swathe across a pallid cheek, I turned to the intrepid explorer Io Aoi, voicing the most important thought, out of so many, which now preoccupied my faculties. “Mister Aoi, where exactly did you put your carriage again?” “You’re pretty unobservant, aren’t you!” the adventurer remarked cynically and rather unhelpfully, probably all indignant at my slip of the tongue in addressing him as ‘Mister’ Aoi, “You mean you just followed behind me, blindly, without even looking where you were going? Was your mind all preoccupied with envying the figure of our dear Princess?” “Was not!” I retorted. It’s not as if he wasn’t perpetually obsessed with obscene fantasies about the figure of some pretty girl or another. “And you don’t have to be so rude in replying … you could just tell me where it was! I can’t be expected to know where to go … it’s not as if I’m a habitual freeloader here or something!” “Habitual freeloader? I’m perfectly welcome here, you know!” Io Aoi spat, rather unsettled by the unflattering description of his behaviour, “Anyway, I jolly well expected you to know where to go, since you were the one who acted all bossy and businesslike, pressuring me into taking Aei here to see your little pet …” “It’s a little pet? Where is it! I want to see it! Is it cute!” babbled Aei excitedly, practically dancing with delirium as she seized my arm and yanked me in one direction, “It’s deadly, it shouldn’t be touched, and it’s cute too! If bad old Uncle Io won’t show you where the stable is, I will! I want to see it right now!” Presumably she already knew that the word ‘pet’ was used merely out of sarcasm? Or was that just an excuse to flatten adult rationality under the force of childlike exuberance? “’Bad old Uncle Io’? What the heck is that?” snapped aforementioned bad old uncle, before yelling in (mock) anger at the sight of his ‘niece’ dragging me in the correct direction to find his carriage, “I … I won’t have it, you hear me, kiddo? If I don’t unlock the carriage, you won’t get to see anything at all! And if you don’t scamper back home to your mother now, I’ll …” But all of his threats were in vain, leaving him no choice but to pursue us at top speed, clutching his silly straw hat to his head as he ran. Rounding the corner of the homestead and passing some barns and a rudimentary but functional windmill as we ran, Aei and I came to a small shack, within which stood two horses. One, a sturdy and healthy gray mare, raised its head from the feeding trough and gave a gentle whinny as we approached. The other, which looked famished, strained and overworked, took absolutely no notice of us, preferring to continue gorging itself with the fresh hay from the feeding trough, as it had probably been doing for all the time that we were having our breakfast. Needless to say, the latter was the one which was fastened to Io Aoi’s carriage “Come on, Uncle Io! Open up your carriage!” called an enthusiastic Aei to the approaching figure, who panted heavily as he plodded onward, “Nothing interesting ever happens around here, so let me see your cute monster!” “First … *pant* … it’s not my monster, it’s Charlotte’s …” huffed the breathless and apparently very much unfit adventurer as he drew to a halt, “Second … *gasp* … second, I’m not showing you anything! Now get … *wheeze* … get out of here, because I want to leave!” “It’s okay! You have to open your carriage doors to get in, right? So all I have to do is wait for you to open them, and I can see the monster!” sniggered Aei cheekily as she flashed a simpering smile at her sweating uncle, “And you oh so do want to leave quickly, don’t you? I can wait!” As she chirped those last few words, a surge of maliciousness seemed to seep into and dominate her childlike features. Oh well, at least it was somewhat reassuring to see that the little kid was cruel to both friends and strangers alike. As the droplets of sweat cascaded from his forehead, forming a growing puddle on the dusty ground before his feet, it was clear that the formerly resolute adventurer was positively knackered. He whipped off that ghastly straw hat of his and ran his fingers through his trimmed hair, sending a visible shower of sweat spraying, glittering (in a rather gross fashion) in the late morning sun, before he somehow realised the magnitude of what he had done. Quick as a flash, he clapped that awful straw hat back over his head, but the exertion served only to intensify that stream of perspiration that was trickling down his weatherbeaten features. Io Aoi, intrepid explorer, mighty and invincible adventurer, was beaten … beaten by the childishness of a mere girl. “All right! Whatever!” he exclaimed, almost screaming, as he strode forward with heavy footsteps, past a perpetually grinning Aei and I, and made for the lock over the back doors of his carriage. “But if it attacks you and eats you, it’s your business! You got that, you miserable little rotter?!” “Yay! You’re so wonderful, uncle Io!” tittered said little rotter as she pranced about triumphantly, seemingly unaffected by the simmering heat, as I stood to one side to make way for her victory dance, “You know, I was about to give you a loving hug and a great big kiss, but unfortunately you’re so sweaty and, ugh, smelly, that I don’t think I want to any more. Maybe you shouldn’t have waited so long to open those doors, huh?” Oh sure, twist the knife in even further. I could not help but pity the poor man, beleaguered as he was with such a sadistic little niece. Was that why he was so reluctant to come here? “On the other hand …” muttered the exhausted adventurer as he undid the last lock over the back doors, and threw them open before Aei’s gawking eyes, “If I could, I’d make it my business that the monster attacked you and ate you. With a minimum of fuss.” “Ooh, is that … it …?” inquired Aei as the rays of the sun cast light into the interior of Io Aoi’s carriage, revealing all his usual junk, the stacks of paper and files which he had retrieved from the government laboratory, and … and the stout figure of something … something dressed in a white laboratory coat, unmoving, its back to us. Glancing at Aei, I observed that her exuberance had dimmed somewhat. Obviously, she didn’t seem particularly impressed. “It looks like … like something wearing a coat, that’s all.” “Well, I’m warning you, you little brat, it’s a fearsome, vicious creature that can melt your brain from the inside out without even touching you! I’ve never encountered anything so abominable in all my adventures!” growled a disgruntled Io Aoi as he stood beside the carriage, refusing to gaze at either the monster or the two of us, as he wiped the sweat off his forehead with his sleeve, “The worst thing of all, is that it seems to listen to that little miss cleverclogs standing next to you. How awful could that get?” How awful could his male chauvinism get, you mean? “How cool could that get?! Charlotte, it’s your very own pet? Now that’s really cool!” yapped Aei as she caught my arm, yanked it to get my attention, then gave me that same endearing, and deadly smile she had earlier given her Uncle Io, “Make it come to us, Charlotte! I want to see it up close! I want it standing right before me so I can see how cute and deadly it is! Do it, Charlotte!” “I … I don’t think that’s a very good idea …” I stammered. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for any emotional trauma and resultant scarring on a little girl due to being engulfed by the irrepressible waves of terror emanating from that creature, when it was on song. And, for starters, unless the creature could jump, it didn’t have a hope of getting out of the carriage without causing some serious damage to its structure … “Look, it’s moving!” squealed Aei. Startled by her cry, I turned towards the creature … to see it shuffling about on its base, turning around such that its hood, still seemingly empty, was facing us. Then, the being did the incredible. It jumped. Well, not exactly jumped so much as fell. It glided towards the edge with surprising speed and then simply tipped itself off, falling spreadeagled with its hood down, the arms of the robe splaying out, but with its hem on the ground. For a moment, I thought the gelatinous monster appeared to form a silhouette eerily similar to a hunched human figure, with the distinguishable outline of a head, neck, shoulders and torso, within the folds of the otherwise empty robe, before it reflexively righted itself. Again, the creature filled the shape of the robe, and inched, with its hood lifted and still apparently empty as ever, in front of Aei, just as she had desired. And just as I had not. “H … how …” I gasped, knowing full well that I had not expressly commanded the monster to come forth, and yet it had done so. And then I caught sight of Io Aoi, all slack-jawed, bearing a similar flabbergasted expression on his face. “I … I didn’t do this …” “What in the world is going on?” exclaimed Io Aoi, eyes as wide as dinner plates, as he clutched a door of his carriage in support, “How can this be happening? I thought … girlie, it couldn’t have been you who did this, could it?” I wasn’t exactly sure who he was referring to by ‘girlie’, but I wasn’t in a fit state of mind to care. “I … this has nothing to do with me. Nothing to do with me at all!” I burbled helplessly, as Aei, seemingly not noticing our amazement, continued to stare into the hood of the monster with big bright eyes. “If I had really told that monster to … well … I definitely didn’t! You, monster, look at me! Come to me!” I was so confused, and this feeling of confusion such a painful one, that I sought relief by grasping at the closest semblance of control, of power, and in this case, it was over a creature which I believed listened to my every command. Silently, the creature bowed its hooded ‘head’, and Aei’s joyful smile seemed to fade as the being turned and slid towards me, only the quickly-evaporating dampness of a slime trail remaining where there once stood a monster, leering over the little girl. I … was I still in control? “Hey! What are you doing, Charlotte? I haven’t finished looking at it!” pouted Aei in her childlike fashion, seemingly oblivious to my desperation in seeking to assert some control over her newfound plaything, “I want to see it! I want to see what’s inside it! Don’t take it away just yet!” Wait! She wanted to see what’s inside it? But, if it listens to her, then … No! But the creature had already sidled back to her, the vacant emptiness of its hood greeting her inquisitive gaze. Yet, the creature did not leap onto or engulf her as I had imagined would happen, but instead stood resolutely … as Aei stepped forward … and put her arms around the monster! “And now what, exactly, is so cute and so deadly about this …” Let go of her! I screamed, or thought I screamed, but no sound seemed to emerge from my throat. But, tears suddenly gushing from my eyes as Io Aoi and I watched the dreaded scene unfold before us, I continued to scream. In anguish. In fear. “Aei! Aei, are you all right?!” cried Io Aoi as he darted forward and clasped the fallen girl in his arms, sweaty as he was, “Say something! Speak to me!” “I … I …” I could not but tremble, terrified as I was and rooted to the spot. When I dared to open my tightly clenched eyes, all I could see, through the tears and sweat which clouded my vision, was the hem of a laboratory coat, rustling in the light seaside wind. The horrific creature now stood before me, satisfied, after claiming the sanity, or perhaps more, of a hapless little girl. I struggled to get to my feet, my ankles buckling at the enormity of what had happened, such that in my despair I clambered towards the little girl on my hands and knees, the clattering of the portrait and leather-bound diary resting in the depths of my pockets against the ground going unheeded. Aei lay still, unresponsive in the arms of her uncle, who now sorely regretted having wished the awful fate that he did upon the child. “Is she all right?” I gibbered, wracked at my inability to do anything more than stare helplessly at her body. “She’s still breathing, that much I can say …” gulped Io Aoi guiltily as he cradled the little girl one last time, before lifting her to me as if to hand her over. “Please … please, Charlotte, take care of her for a moment. Keep her away from that … that thing. I’m going to get her parents right now!” “No!” came a scream from that same girl that was the cause of all our concern. Her eyes sprung open, releasing a tear that had welled up within. Her hands reached for something to grasp, and her left hand found Io Aoi’s shoulder while the other planted itself on the dusty ground, “Don’t do anything! I’m all right! Really!” “Aei!” the adventurer and I cried simultaneously, relieved at seeing that the normally cheerful and sprightly girl was finally responding. Without wiping away the tears and sweat streaking across my face, I placed my hands on her shoulders to feel, to content myself with the feeling that she was alive and moving. “Aei, I’m so glad you’re all right …” I sobbed, the tears rolling off my chin forming a damp spot over the front of her dress, “I’m so sorry … sorry that I couldn’t stop that thing from … from …” “It’s all right, Charlotte, like I told you, I’m fine,” replied Aei as she placed her right hand upon my arm, I now being the one in need of soothing. Her voice was weak, but it was gradually beginning to find strength and expression. “Whatever that thing did to me, or put in my head … it’s definitely not real. It can’t be real.” “I’m glad you understand that … that you understand, that’s all it is …” I whispered, the joy of having her back with us overcoming my initial grief, and horror, with a flood of emotion, “But what’s more important is that you’re fine … you’re all right …” “Of course I’m all right. I … it’s just the shock of that thing … that thing doing what it does. Besides, it’s going to take much more to bring me down than filling my head with all that crap, wouldn’t you think?” Aei grinned slyly as I gazed down at her with tear-filled eyes … before a surge of energy seemed to revitalise her body. Before I could react, she had relieved my arm of her consoling touch … and struck me square across the cheek with the back of her hand! “Now quit crying on me! I’m not your pillow or anything! Go save your tears for … for your boyfriend, or girlfriend, or whoever your significant other might be!” “I … Hey!” I whimpered as I felt the hurt of my feelings, my concern, being rebuffed with yet another childish jibe about my gender. But I was really, truly concerned for the child, and something … something bad, had really, truly happened to her, so … so I felt that maybe my emotions were worth it after all, expended on such a thankless little thing like her. “Well, I’m glad too that you’re all right,” snorted Io Aoi, his voice now turning gruff upon seeing his ‘niece’ was back to her usual lively and impish self. He released his left arm, letting Aei’s bottom crash to the ground, and threatened to do the same with his other, but Aei was up to the mark as she pushed herself to her feet, as if nothing had happened, with the aid of the adventurer’s shoulder. “Now you’d better apologise for being rude to Charlotte here, who was so worried about you!” The well of my sorrow now drained, I sought to wipe the tears and sweat from my face but found nothing convenient at hand. Still teary-eyed, I contemplated wiping them off on my sleeve, but was pleasantly surprised when Aei reached into her pocket and pulled out a small handkerchief, which I gladly reached for and dabbed my face with. I gazed into the now damp piece of cloth, pondering, whether it would be inconsiderate, extending my welcome if I … “Go ahead, blow your nose into it, you crybaby,” smirked Aei, before a quick glare from her uncle reminded her to go on with what she was supposed to say, “Yeah, anyway, I’m sorry for being mean to you when you were worried sick about me, so, yeah … I’m really sorry …” Clearly, apologies were not something which came easily to this unrepentantly mischievous little creature. I handed the drenched cloth to the girl before me, who then used it to blot out her own tears, mixing her own with mine. “Well, I hope that teaches you to be more grateful … and more caring for others’ feelings!” I rebuked, though not very sternly, not wishing to stress my overexerted emotions more. “Now with that settled …” snapped Io Aoi abruptly as he shifted his gaze towards me, baring his hideous yellowed teeth in a toothy snarl, “You, kiddo, are the cause of all the trouble! First, you set all this up by getting poor little Aei involved in this, then you let that monster jump on her! What do you have to say for yourself?!” “I … well … that’s a false accusation!” I countered as I scrambled to my feet. Now that the matter of Aei had been settled, there was no more time for tears. I had been unfairly challenged, and I had to defend myself, for there was no one else who could do so for me. “I can tell you right now, that the monster’s perfectly safe, as long as no one goes and touches it, like ‘poor little’ Aei here did! And next, you know as well as I know that Aei was the one who actually caused the creature to leap right out of your carriage and onto the ground! I didn’t want it to do so, but Aei did, and it just went and followed her orders as if … as if it was following mine, like it was earlier! Don’t you get it?” “Charlotte, you’re saying that the monster follows my instructions, just like Uncle Io said it could follow yours? Can I tell it to eat you?” Don’t you dare, you little rotter. It’s not as if I haven’t yet had a taste of what the creature was capable of. “But seriously, Uncle Io, it’s got to be my fault. If only I hadn’t gone and touched it, thinking it was something cute …” And dear little Aei put her hands on her darling uncle’s shoulders, and gazed right into him with those big, shiny, adorable eyes of hers … “Yeah … well … you’d better be careful next time, you brat, or you might not survive to even see a next time!” warned Io Aoi as he ran his dusty fingers through her curly teal locks, gently ruffling the hair on the top of her head before he, too, got to his feet. “But no more sightseeing for you! I’m going to take you back to your parents right now! I don’t want to be held responsible for any other accidents you might get yourself into!” “Uncle Io! You mustn’t! I’m all right! If my parents found out … they’d surely spank me, and send me to bed without dinner and supper, and ground me for a year, or worse! Please, Uncle Io! Don’t tell them!” whined Aei pitifully as Io Aoi seized her by the hand, grinning sadistically. Noticing his gloating expression, Aei batted nary an eyelid as her pouting lips moulded into a smile I had learned to watch for. And fear. “And Uncle Io, you do know that if my parents found out that you, my darling uncle, let me get devoured by a vicious monster, they’d be so angry, so absolutely furious … you’re never going to get a free meal in this house ever again! Or maybe, they’d force you to work for them before they’d feed you a single morsel! Did you think about that?” And that put a quick end to the adventurer’s hopes of a just comeuppance meeting that wily little weasel. “Oh … oh fine! I won’t tell your parents what happened!” sighed a defeated Io Aoi as he released the child’s arm, but still he raised a finger of caution to her face, “But you’d better run along back home, now, before you get hurt. Again.” “Shan’t!” sniffed Aei as she folded her arms, refusing to budge. As a large drop of sweat fell from the adventurer’s chin and met the ground with an audible splash, it was clear that the he had no more patience or energy left to play the waiting game. With a disconsolate shake of the head, he turned back to his carriage, ignoring both of us (and the monster) entirely, seeking to confide in the only things he could trust. Noticing his shattered appearance, shoulders sunken in weariness, Aei was, at last, thoughtful enough to realise that the game was up. “Oh, but please, Uncle Io!” begged the little miscreant, twiddling her thumbs behind her back as she sauntered forward, “Please let me say goodbye to my new friend Charlotte before you go. Then I promise … I really promise I’ll go back. All right?” “Ah, whatever! Do as you please!” huffed Io Aoi as he threw up his hands in exasperation, “Anything, anything as long as you stop bugging me. Now I’ve just got to find something, somewhere around here, that can help that monster get back into the carriage …” His voice trailed off as he investigated the stable, puttering around, looking for something at hand which might prove useful. “Charlotte … I … You’ve been a great friend. It’s been wonderful knowing you, and …” Aei began, glancing up at me to reveal dim, droopy eyes, but eyes that glimmered with a sliver of optimism in them. Was she at last appreciative of my kindliness and my sisterly presence? “I’m so glad that you took all my games and tricks, all my jokes about you being Uncle Io’s call girl and how flat your chest is …” “HEY!” And I had thought it would be a moment for tears. Never, never, as far as this kid is concerned. “You little … didn’t you learn anything from that monster jumping on you?” “Yeah! What I learned is that I too can make it jump on you!” sniggered Aei as the little horror’s face lit up with a defiant grin, “Do you want to give it a try?” "D … don’t you dare, Aei! I won’t let you!” I stuttered, uneasy at the thought of what had happened the last time that creature had touched me, which was when I met it for the very first time. Sure, the horror it induced might be artificial, but horrors, artificial or not, have an ability to etch themselves into one’s mind. “And I thought that thing had listened to me! Why’s it that you can control it, too?” “I …” Upon hearing my words, Aei’s mischievous grin reverted to a look of pensiveness, “I really don’t know, either! Why was it that it listened to me?” Both of our eyes turned toward the robed monster, that stood before where I had knelt demanding, no, begging it to release a tortured Aei from its malicious grip, its hood still glancing towards the now-evaporated puddle my tears had earlier created. Now here was a mystery … how was it that the monster listened to the thoughts of just another common farm girl? For that matter, how was it that the monster listened to me, plain old Charlotte, anyway? “Maybe it only responds to girls?” shrugged Io Aoi as he strode past us, still looking for a convenient tool for transporting the monster. How kind of him to enunciate for us a possibility that would have struck an indelible terror into the hearts of male supremacists across the land, people just like him, who were in no small quantity. “It must like cute young lasses, just like I do.” And trust him to qualify such an uncharacteristic statement with a characteristically chauvinistic comment. But seriously, there were a million possibilities … could it really just be because we were girls? “I can’t comment on that,” I stated flatly, despite my own curiosity regarding the ability to control the creature. Somewhat irked by the adventurer’s contribution to the discussion, or rather his interjection which followed it, I sought to turn the conversation back to what we were supposed to be doing. “Anyway, Aei, before I go, I’d like to say that despite your … behaviour … it was a pleasure to meet you. I’ve never met any little girl so knowledgeable … especially of what she specifically should not be knowing (“What?”) … not to mention so fearless, especially in the face of …” Already stuttering in my speech as I stumbled over the correct words to best express goodbye, it halted utterly when my thoughts turned back to the issue of that … that thing. And there it stood, still unmoving. But that girl … seriously, was she really more afraid of getting busted by her parents than what that creature was capable of? That didn't make sense. “Well, it’s really not that difficult to resist the monster’s grip, you know …” considered Aei in response to the sudden pause in my speech, “All you’ve got to do is try to think straight, and have confidence that whatever’s being put into your head is all nonsense! Why, Charlotte? Have you been … touched by that monster before? What did it tell you?” As she said those words, she again put a hand on my wrist. I did, for a moment, suspect that some trick was up, but something about the way she held my hand in hers told me that she was trying to encourage me to share my insecurities and fears with her. “I … how do I put it …” I struggled to recall, not so much out of the difficulty of remembering what I had experienced this morning, but due to the subconscious attempt to mentally block the retrieval of what represented memories best forgotten. “I dreamed, no, imagined, that the thing caused my arm to wilt, to die off, so that I was left handicapped for life, ugly and incomplete. That’s what I’m really afraid of … of being scarred forever, of being disabled and defenseless.” Not to say that a person lacking an arm was absolutely crippled in any way, but it didn’t take a genius to work out the degree of the physical and psychological impact such a loss would have on an otherwise complete and able-bodied person such as I. “But that couldn’t have been the case, since your arm … well, both your arms are still here, aren’t they?” chirped Aei to me encouragingly, but still her eyes dimmed somewhat as she recollected her own encounter with the creature just minutes ago, “What that thing over there tried to tell me was some garbage, like my parents and everyone hated me, that no one would care if I died or anything, and that I would grow up living a miserable life, poor, lonely and depressed. But that’s impossible, of course! My parents … well … of course they love me! And you’re going to stay my good friend, aren’t you, Charlotte?” “Yes, of course I will, if we ever meet again. I promise, Aei.” I nodded as I turned my arm in her grip to clasp her wrist, our hands locked in sisterly solidarity. Still, I pondered smilingly, she did seem very eager to make a new friend out of a complete stranger, one whom she was unlikely to ever see again in her reclusive life as a farmer’s daughter. Perhaps her rather … unique … attitudes and personality had something to do with her otherwise unusual lack of childhood friendships? Heh. I was interrupted from my thoughts by a commotion which seemed to arise from in front of the homestead, out of sight of the stable. Io Aoi seemed to be in a heated argument with a feminine voice, a voice too distant to be made out distinctly … the voice of someone unfamiliar. As the adventurer’s voice rose, obscuring his adversary’s, but not being very clear in itself, it somehow came to me that something might have gone awry. “Hey, do you think he’s met my mother out in the field?” asked Aei, also taking notice of the voices, “Quick! Let’s go and meet them together, so that I can show them what great friends we are! Don’t you think that’s a good idea, Charlotte?” “I don’t think that’s your mother talking, Aei …” I cautioned, but a little too late as Aei had already begun sprinting for the front gate, dragging me as we went, our hands still in a mutual lock. Holding on to my skirt with my free arm as we ran, I cried out to her again, but to no effect. “Aei, I don’t think it’s such a good idea!” In the meantime, there the monster remained, as it had been, now alone in the middle of the yard. Standing steadfastly in its solitude, it continued to gaze down at nothing in particular. Perhaps … perhaps that was the safest place it could be. Did you expect a choice on how to progress, now? Unfortunately for you, Charlotte’s been dragged, willing or not, to the following chapter - 41. Aye! The Loathsome Swords-girl of Love! - Nothing to see here. Nuh huh. Ho hum … *whistle* - posted by Charlotte | 4:05 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ... ~//n_n\\7 |
|
|||||
|
|
||||||