Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Friday, November 24, 2006  

I was woken up abruptly some time before 6am this morning by an unearthly, almost alien noise, a siren going off at a minor 2nd interval and at a disturbingly mid-range pitch. So, being absolutely startled and confused I shot up in bed, switched on the bedside light and immediately started scrambling around looking for the cause of the noise. What happened? Did the radiator break down? Did the smoke warning go off? Did the fire alarm ... that's it, a fire alarm! And I thought people would be sensible and use a high-pitched (mechanical) bell, but noooo, they have to use something that sounds annoyingly mid-range yet gives no indication as to what it might be.

So finally realising what the heck was going on, I unlocked my room door and, in my usual night-time outfit of RJC PE attire and FBT shorts, with slippers, I stared outside to see the other people on my floor leaving the building, and the volunteer fire warden showing people what to do. Aha, a fire drill. But at 6am? And at that time I didn't even realise it was 6am, since the sun hadn't even broken the horizon, so it could have been 3am for all I knew. Strike two for British ingenuity.

Break the cover for the latch to the emergency escape route, so we were told. And blimey, but that door's right outside my room. And I have no idea who did break it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to have broken glass all over the front of my room. Well, it wasn't glass, thankfully, it was a little plastic cup that splits in two when given a good whack, but still someone, I know not who, did break it, opened the emergency door and a few of us darted out and down the stairs where we saw more fire wardens and more dozy students from the same building staring and wandering about aimlessly. Uh huh.

Okay, so we were supposed to go to the assembly point, which was in a nearby building, so we did. And going there, after the doors had shut behind us and they were checking to see if all were present, I realised I was the only dope who didn't bring a big jacket or something warm with me. Yes, I was in a single layer of short-sleeved, loose and overlarge shirt and FBT shorts (oh come on, you know what size FBT shorts are ...). And it wasn't cold. I don't jest, I didn't feel cold for a moment, until my bare legs touched the frigid sofa in the room we gathered in. Maybe it isn't all that cold out there, even at night ... maybe coldness is just a trick of the imagination or perception. Or maybe it's only cold if the wind blows. Or maybe I was just too tired and too stupid to realise it was cold. Huh. So, while waiting for the head count to continue, I reclined Cleopatra-esque on the sofa and attempted to catch up on the sleep lost. And I did have a couple of people asking me what FBT was and where they could get it.

Alright, so we finally got back to our rooms about some time past six, and the sun was finally beginning to peek over the horizon, which was when I looked at the clock and realised to my ... um, emotionless state ... that it was six in the morning. And I looked at bed and decided to go back to sleep. And spent the next fifteen minutes tossing and turning and trying to reconcile my sleep with the fact that my alarm clock would be going off in the next fifteen minutes. So I switched it off, and woke up late, at 9am. Whee. Good thing I wasn't actually late for anything important, other than breakfast, of course.

Ah well, I don't resent them for carrying out this fire drill, or even the rather ... original (perhaps not so from a British point of view ...) way in which they did it. But it was just so unnerving. The emergency escape door was never closed, and it hangs open onto the escape staircase, which gives me a pretty convenient route to the ground floor. However, it compromises security since it can't be locked, and it's letting a nasty chilly draft into my room from the front door, which is as I said right in front of it. Despite that, I don't feel like touching the door, just in case it sets of another alarm. I don't really feel too comfortable about going back to sleep until I'm pretty sure no one's going to be making any more disturbing noise in the corridor. And I'm going to snuggle up under the duvet and smother my head under the pillow. In a non-fatal way.

posted by Charlotte | 11:48 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!