Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Friday, December 01, 2006  

Well, that it. The last of my lectures, and supervisions for Tudor and early Stuart history. For now. That's 1/3 of the year, 1/9 of my undergraduate life and approximately six grand. In British money, of course. Well, it certainly doesn't feel like I've done or experienced anything worth 20,000 Singapore dollars, so it's cold comfort to rationalise it through pound sterling. At least I'm thankful that my essays were passable ... albeit occasionally just barely. Supervisors are asked to predict a grade for their students at the end of each series of supervisions, and my supervisor says I can get a 2.1. Um, all right, I would be very shocked to think I had done anything worthy of a first, because if there is something along such lines, I don't know what it is. And I want to know it quickly, and now!

Now? Now to look forward to something dreamt of by tourists everywhere, but dreaded by most Cambridge students. Which is, winter, and Christmas, in Cambridge. Yay. I feel overwhelmed with great joy. And the spirit of festivity. Which is really stupid, because in Cambridge, just like everywhere in the world, Christmas started by early November (almost everywhere ... in America, they have Thanksgiving first ...). And you know, my attitude to the humbuggery of Christmas would make Ebenezer Scrooge proud. So bah to Christmas, Santa won't be giving me any presents this year anyway. I'll be lucky to get a lump of coal, at least then I can be honest in saying I threw all my Christmas presents into the fire.

Anyway, in previous posts I talked about trees, and swans ... well, being from a tropical country, the gradual change in the weather, and the environment, feels particularly significant, typical as it might seem to locals and others from temperate countries. The leaves, and fruit, have fallen from nearly all the trees, the horse chestnuts I observed earlier being one of the first trees to go. The tree in front of my window yellowed and withered away within an alarming span of under a week, meaning that I can't swap clothes in the middle of my room any more ... well, not as if there was anything to see anyway. But it does now allow me a nice view of the apple tree a little way down, whose leaves and apples have proven remarkably resilient given the biting cold. I'll be sad to see the last of that rosy red fruit sever itself from its branch to splatter onto the cobbled pavement below. What a waste ... I do wish I could have those lovely fruit, its edibility ensured by the unusual fact that local birds don't seem particularly attracted to it. Or is there a good reason for that?

Well, my "job hunt" isn't going particularly successfully, I've already been turned down a couple of times. However, if I do fervently want to take the job of a librarian, I've got a lead, for the medical library at Addenbrooke's hospital. Unfortunately, Addenbrooke's is at least two miles away from my current location, though not as far as Girton (nothing could ever be). And while the pay is an attractive ten quid an hour, the hours of employment are from 6 to 10 pm. In winter. It'll be dark, cold, and there'll be all kinds of what-have-you ne'er-do-wells prowling the streets and back alleys of Cambridge. It doesn't sound worth it.

Well, if I don't get a sufficiently comfortable and well-paying job, I guess I'll just bum around in my room, slacking away, and doing all those things I wanted to do during term time but never had the time to. Like continue writing. And maybe I'll actually spend time to finish reading a history book. If there's anyone out there holding out in Cambridge for the vacation ... well, I don't think we'll ever see each other, but it'll be nice to know that I'm not the only one.

posted by Charlotte | 11:12 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!