Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Tuesday, January 30, 2007  

Sometimes, there's a lot to say, but I'm simply too tired to sit down and think about enunciating it. I've been sleeping ridiculously early, and for ridiculously long periods, but I'm still getting up late. I don't understand it. This is unfair.

Well, things have been a little interesting. For today, I attended a panel discussion on "History in Question", where history students were invited to submit questions on the nature of history for discussion. Apparently, it's also a meeting of the "Cambridge Historical Society" (which, I suppose, is different from the "History Society"), albeit one that's a bit more meaningful and accessible to the average history student.

I'm extremely proud to say that one (of quite a selection) of questions which was submitted by yours truly was indeed brought up for discussion at the seminar, chaired by none other than the impossibly renowned Professor Quentin Skinner. Okay, you might not know who he is, but everyone in the faculty reveres him ... ah, such is the life of an academician. Not only that, but he specifically asked me, me me me me me, about the rationale behind the question, before a crowded lecture theatre full of eager students and quite a number of professors too. I mean, well, let's say that intellectually I was scraping the bottom of the barrel being in there (especially evinced by some of the unbelievably complicated questions a couple of other FIRST YEAR students had asked ... freaky), so it was ... well, not exactly an extreme honour. But it was nice to get the (wanted) attention, since I was prepared for the prompt, in a sense, and wasn't shaking so badly and stumbling over every other word.

Enough talk, I suppose. The question was "Is it possible to have history without an agenda?", and the reason why I asked it was because I felt it would be practically impossible for any historian with tenure today to say that they were doing history for history's sake (without evoking the cynical laughter of all within earshot). So doesn't this mean that every historian must have a specific reason for going into the subject? Well, to make money would be one reason, but if you wanted to be rich, preferably with minimum effort, you wouldn't choose to be an academic. I'd say if I ever became an academic (and the chance of it looks dimmer and dimmer) I'd do so because I wanted to convert the world to my ideas and opinions. And, since reading this blog offers people an example of my ideas and opinions, that would be a rather dangerous task.

Things really don't look good for my essays this term. I'm getting very ... well, not worried, since I know that I'm not putting in as much effort as I should and any results (or lack thereof) are of my own doing, but rather, I'm getting very ... antagonised. And feeling increasingly frustrated with the current subject. Ugh.

posted by Charlotte | 11:46 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!