Chaotic Disintegrate
Chaotic Disintegrate
Where chaos stops and more chaos ensues. Where Filia plays the electric keyboard.
Where anything goes.

-//o_O\\7 *Home of the Awful, Mediocre and Pathetic* -//u_u\\7


Monday, July 09, 2007  

Well, I won't blame anyone if they decide this place isn't really worth reading anymore, because it's pretty apparent it isn't. I mean, nobody's killed me for tuning out of their "regularly-updated" blogs yet, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I think, over these last few months that I've been in Cambridge, I tried to do something a little too ambitious and it didn't end very well, and I've been quite upset about it. Well, upset in the sense of being someone who is trying to create something, not like someone who is, like, you know, suicidial, homicidial, insecticidial and all that.
I won't try to go back and edit out the posts, because there really isn't any reason to do that and besides, they're perfectly readable. Just that it doesn't continue. Yes, that's the ticket.

Oh, I'm back in Singapore by the way. It's been two weeks since. For the record, I'm fine, alive, narrowly escaped several deadly incidents (not involving terrorists) and I neither feel very glad to be back in Singapore, nor miss England particularly much. Call it apathy. Or laziness. Both.

TPK means "total party kill". That's what happens when the entire adventuring party is wiped out and there isn't someone left alive to resurrect them, or pick up the pieces or whatnot. It happened because of a certain drastically unbalanced encounter (unbalanced even by game rules ... rules which were very honestly accidentally neglected at the moment that they proved critical) and a series of really bad rolls, which mean that even if the GM tried to salvage the encounter for the PCs, the dice wouldn't let him. Though there were clearly some mistakes committed, I'm not blaming anyone and I'm sure no one else does, since it's all a game and it's for fun and not anything to get upset about. But the sense of desperation and frustration at the hands of both the players and the GM made me feel very depressed about the whole thing, when the experience started to move from playing the game to metagaming, and not in the sense of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge kind, but the bludgeon-you-with-an-anime-mallet-kind (okay, these are very bad analogies in text form, but it should provide an effective visualisation of a metagame ... uh ... a meta-meta-game, whatever).

And now I'm pretty worried too, because as a creator I have dreams of someday hosting my own campaign. That's just an everyday thing for a GM with many campaigns under their belt, but as a total newbie I still don't have all the rules and whatnot at my fingertips and I don't have experience enough to give me the appropriate gut feelings about everything. So, well, I'm worried about making a similar mistake. I'm sure ... no, I hope no one will blame me for anything if I made a mistake (though I would certainly blame myself), but the looks of dissatisfaction and frustration on the faces of fellow very experienced players (and, in other campaigns, GMs) just drive a very intense fear into my heart. A fear that, even for a moment, the whole sense and purpose of adventure, creation, and fun, was lost.

Back to fun and games, though ... if you play any multiplayer games, try out this quiz and see what kind of adventurer you are!

The Bartle Test of Gamer Personality
http://www.guildcafe.com/bartle.php

I'm a diamond! 80% Achiever, 50% Socialiser, 33% Explorer, 33% Killer

posted by Charlotte | 4:38 pm
Comments: Post a Comment

Disclaimer : The Slayers and Filia Ul Copt and all images thereof are the property of Hajime Kanzaka and Rui Araizumi. I don't own any of them, although if I had a choice I would want Filia ...
~//n_n\\7
The Gold Sun
Links
The Forbidding Lands
NationStates
Avernon
Archives
Nightwings Federation
Read the Story!
Elf Woods
Comment



All praise Charlotte!
Hail! Hail!